j27

Denatered Alcohol

Just wondering where you find denatured alcohol. Went on a quest today to get some with no luck. Looked in a couple of drug stores and all I could find is the 70% rubbing and the 91% Isopryle ( not sure how to spell that). I finally found some D2T ( that took a long time ) and wanted to thin it to seal balsa. I've read alot of the older forums on this subject and the denatured seems to be the way to go. Also, where is everyone getting the Devcon 2 Ton in the 9 oz.? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Happy Holidays, John

Just wondering where you find denatured alcohol. Went on a quest today to get some with no luck. Looked in a couple of drug stores and all I could find is the 70% rubbing and the 91% Isopryle ( not sure how to spell that). I finally found some D2T ( that took a long time ) and wanted to thin it to seal balsa. I've read alot of the older forums on this subject and the denatured seems to be the way to go. Also, where is everyone getting the Devcon 2 Ton in the 9 oz.? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Happy Holidays, John

I use denatured alcohol for final cleaning of aluminum after brushing when I need to make a critical weld right the first time. I get it in the paint department at Lowes or Home Depot. (I forget which one I bought it at last, but I need some more.)

P.S. For me critical means its the last piece I have and I really don't want to have to go to the local metal shop to buy some.

Edited by Bob La Londe

Walmart, ACE hardware, Homedepot and lowes carris it and I think Hobby Lobby has it

As for the D2T Ace will order if you ask takes about 3 days but to me its worth the wait.

Hobby Town USA also sells a 30min epoxy IMHO just as good as D2T.

Thanks to everyone, I've got some from Lowes today. I feel like an idiot, I didn't know what it was used for. As for the D2T,I thought there was something special about it. I'm guessing any 30 min epoxy will work?

D2T is already tried and proven. I've thinned it with DA for coating lures and it still dries hard and clear. You can get it from Tower Hobbies online. I got 4 9oz bottles.

Thanks paskeeter, was looking for a web site to order it, the local hobby stores around here don't have it. I did find it in an Ace hardware in the small syringes. I coated about 5 baits the other day and loved how it goes on. The only thing is the very small imperfections ( little bubbles and raised spots). I've sanded some of them and recoated. Does these tiny bubbles cause any problems or sould I not worry about them and just go ahead with the painting.? Thanks and Merry Christmas!!! J27