arnold76

Masking Patterns For Hardbaits

Hello i am new on this forum and trying to make my own jerkbaits.

I have a question,where can i find printabele Masking Patterns for Painting my jerkbaits?

To brush nice gills,eyes,mouth and strips

I searcht al the net and ik cant find only one page with 2 patternsblink.gif

Is there somewone ho can help me?

(sorry for my englisch,i am from the netherlands)

Thnxs!

Hello i am new on this forum and trying to make my own jerkbaits.

I have a question,where can i find printabele Masking Patterns for Painting my jerkbaits?

To brush nice gills,eyes,mouth and strips

I searcht al the net and ik cant find only one page with 2 patternsblink.gif

Is there somewone ho can help me?

(sorry for my englisch,i am from the netherlands)

Thnxs!

Take a look at the thread that Diemai started, titled "Making a PVC Crankbait" or something like that. It's a couple of threads down on this page.

The guy on the video makes templates for eyes and gills out of doubled cardboard, a neat idea that helps keep thing symetrical.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/21056-making-a-pvc-crankbait/

Edited by mark poulson

I also looked around but never found any good painting templates. One problem is that the template needs to be sized to fit your lure, so the only real solution is to make them yourself. Various things are used for templates but for me, the best has been "frisket material", which is a thin plastic film with adhesive on one side and a peel-to-stick backing. Draw your design on the paper side, cut it out with an Xacto knife, and you're in business. I've learned not to take the backing off the template after it's cut. Just hold it on the side of the lure while you shoot paint, dry it off, then flip over the template to do the other side of the bait. This has several advantages: you only need one template to do both sides exactly the same; you can save the template and use it for future baits (I have a whole library of them now); the adhesive templates will often lift underlying paint off the lure if you stick them on; and the frisket material is thin enough to cut easily and exactly with the Xacto knife.

A roll of frisket material costs less than $10 from an art/hobby store and will last many years.

You can make "body conforming templates" from milk bottles, etc. They are good if you do many of the same baits with the same design, but I never do so the less elaborate route works best for me.

Edited by BobP