CNC Molds N Stuff

Mini Presto Pot

15 hours ago, 2marshall8 said:

They don't mention how much heat it can handle.  I'm not a chef, but I don't think too many things are cooked stove top at over 300 degrees.

2 hours ago, bryanmc said:

They don't mention how much heat it can handle.  I'm not a chef, but I don't think too many things are cooked stove top at over 300 degrees.

Plus - at the cost for 60-70 dollars - if you have a few tools and are "handy" you can make your own stirring system for a little more and it WILL work - compared to trying things like this to just to save a little time/cash only to toss it and do it the right way 1 month later. 

Trust me (us) - we've all tried the simple/cheap ways - some work - others don't.  

J.

• Like 1

I have found that deep fryers have a thin lining so heat transfer is fast. Heat will go full on and stop way after the desired temp. With oil this is fine but not for plastic. The presto pot on the other hand is a cooker with a much thicker pot that distributes heat much slower and more even. For years I have worked on a way to beat the presto pots. But keep using them. For 30 dollars it’s hard to beat the presto pot. Get one then get a gear motor for stirring mount it and use it for years without an issue. Anything else is just a waste of time for that amount of money. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frank said:

I have found that deep fryers have a thin lining so heat transfer is fast. Heat will go full on and stop way after the desired temp. With oil this is fine but not for plastic. The presto pot on the other hand is a cooker with a much thicker pot that distributes heat much slower and more even. For years I have worked on a way to beat the presto pots. But keep using them. For 30 dollars it’s hard to beat the presto pot. Get one then get a gear motor for stirring mount it and use it for years without an issue. Anything else is just a waste of time for that amount of money. 

https://www.amazon.com/Presto-Kitchen-Kettle-Multi-Cooker-Steamer/dp/B002JM202I/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=presto%2Bpot&qid=1609702887&sr=8-1&th=1

So this gear motor for stirring. where do you buy it? this seems to be the missing link in the puzzle from all my reading. this seems to be an item that people mckgyver a lot and it requires much more "technical knowledge" to assemble/create than I have.

That is the presto.... 

There is a thread already running maybe 8 down form top right now talking about which gear motor to use... and yes it will take some "McGyvering"... if that's beyond your capabiites - there are some sites/people selling stirrers.  They aren't cheap - which is why many make them if they have the tools.... but I've been down the road of "kitchen" stirrers... I bought/used one at first - and it worked if I heated plastic in the micro and transfered hot... didn't' have enough torque to kick plastic over through the gel phase and didn't stir up remelts too well.  At one point I was looking for a "mixer" thinking that would be perfect... except they cost more than just buy/making something as many have mentioned.

Lurecraft has one that's 180.... no experience with it... I'd search around to see if you can find something cheaper... but this is part of the "vortex" that sucks you in with this hobby.... you can get in and make a few baits pretty cheap... but as you want to make more and more - you have to pay to play.

J.

Edited by SlowFISH

43 minutes ago, bryanmc said:

There was a guy that posted in the classifieds a while ago that he was making and selling them.  Might try a search in there to find it.

*edit*  Found the link.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/classifieds/for-sale_25/presto-pot-mixer-r2136/

Yah, honestly I didn't realize how easy it would be to sell baits. It feels like stealing candy from a baby. I'm at a point where I gotta free up time by scaling to meet up with the demand to not allow it to consume all my free time. thanks for this. I'll post the link to lurecraft who does his distribution now.

https://www.lurecraft.com/Hot-Runner-Plastic-Pot-Stirrer/productinfo/2X186/

The stirrers are really easy to make and anyone capable of injecting soft plastics should have the ability to make one if they want.

It doesn't have to be too difficult.   I still use the first one I built many years ago and it is about as simple as it gets.  Poplar board used to span the presto pot and the face mount gear motor bolted on.  I found a piece of galvanized steel and cut a stir paddle and bent into the poor design below.  Under a 100 bucks (probably 75) for the stirring assembly. As pictured It worked just fine and kept glitter suspended but did switch out to a  4 bladed paddle made my a member on the site.

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

1 hour ago, Travis said:

The stirrers are really easy to make and anyone capable of injecting soft plastics should have the ability to make one if they want.

It doesn't have to be too difficult.   I still use the first one I built many years ago and it is about as simple as it gets.  Poplar board used to span the presto pot and the face mount gear motor bolted on.  I found a piece of galvanized steel and cut a stir paddle and bent into the poor design below.  Under a 100 bucks (probably 75) for the stirring assembly. As pictured It worked just fine and kept glitter suspended but did switch out to a  4 bladed paddle made my a member on the site.

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

how many RPM does the stirring motor need to be? will this work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Stove-6039HF-6220-6500-Agitator-Stir-Drive-Motor-1-RPM-80488-PH-CCW1H/282631439769?hash=item41ce258599:g:4GAAAOSwgy5Zk2q0

11 hours ago, Frank said:

35 is not as fast as you think it is. Get one and try it. Then you will know. And the plastic is thicker than you think. I can’t suck up anything if it is down to 1/2 an inch from the bottom. 

Agree completely.  Mine is 35 rpm and the only time the aeration affects anything is when I'm using the bottom spout for hand pour molds.  Otherwise, like you I can't draw plastic with an injector when it's that low.

I have a 35rpm in one pot and 50rpm in the other pot (got it for $10 so didnt care it was a little fast)..... and there are no bubbles (atleast that I notice)..... in reality - even at 50 rpm it's 1 turn per second almost half that for 35rpm.... I bet it if you measured how fast (RPM) we whip around plastic in a Pyrex by hand it's a whole lot faster....  Plus a presto has such a wide diameter - there is alot of surface area for bubbles to rise and escape - compared to a tighter diameter pyrex type cup.

J.

• Like 1

I've been using the presto pots now for a few weeks and I've been stirring right before I shoot. although this isn't ideal and I want to advance into what is described here in this thread I'm still working out the pros/cons .

When using salt does the auto stirring paddle keep this suspended as well? And when you draw up the plastic with a dual injector using 2 pots do you have to shutdown the auto stirring paddles? thanks

Edited by 2marshall8

11 hours ago, 2marshall8 said:

I've been using the presto pots now for a few weeks and I've been stirring right before I shoot. although this isn't ideal and I want to advance into what is described here in this thread I'm still working out the pros/cons .

When using salt does the auto stirring paddle keep this suspended as well? And when you draw up the plastic with a dual injector using 2 pots do you have to shutdown the auto stirring paddles? thanks

I don't use salt often - but yes it does keep salt suspended.....as well as glitter.

The paddle in your presto should not go full diameter - I made mine slightly offset of center and if a diameter that I could leave my injector in the presto with the blades spinning.  So the stirring system never shuts off once I fire it up.

Keep the the injector in the plastic/presto keeps it hot and ready for the next shot... I never have to remove the cap(s) once i start to clean out any cold plugs as the heat in the presto keeps the injector 'clean".... single or dual injector all the same.

J.

• Like 1