CTBASS56

Interesting Topic- Adding Weight

Hello folks,

been a while since i last posted however i have what i THINK is an interesting question....

Before injecting my stick baits, can i place a weight (splitshot, nail weight, bb's, rubber internal tube weights-not sure what there called, etc. etc.) in to the center of each cavity of my mold???

I am trying to add weight to my stick baits (i understand the normal way-salt,sand...fine, course, etc.)

Will the plastic inject properly?

will the weight end up being exposed(because it sinks in the hot plastic)?

will the weight be pushed to the end of the cavity?

OR, will it work perfectly as i am imagining(the weight staying in the center of the cavity, and in the center of the bait)???

And, if you agree, what types of different materials do you think I could use aside from lead (tiny shards of glass, rubber, wood, wire) any ideas????

What are your opinions??????

thank you!

Before injecting my stick baits, can i place a weight (splitshot, nail weight, bb's, rubber internal tube weights-not sure what there called, etc. etc.) in to the center of each cavity of my mold???

Will the plastic inject properly?

will the weight end up being exposed(because it sinks in the hot plastic)?

will the weight be pushed to the end of the cavity?

OR, will it work perfectly as i am imagining(the weight staying in the center of the cavity, and in the center of the bait)???

And, if you agree, what types of different materials do you think I could use aside from lead (tiny shards of glass, rubber, wood, wire) any ideas????

Interesting idea. You should just do it and see, next time you are pouring. I am fairly sure that the weight will end up on the tail though.

The weight may be slightly exposed, but you can always dip in clear. This should prevent the weight from eventually comming out, whether it is enough to stop the lead from flying out during a vigorous cast, I am not so sure. These things have to be tried, fortunately in this case, at very little cost and effort.

The main problem is to hold the weight in position while you pour. I can think of two ideas straight off:

1. CA glue a thin thread. This should be thin enough not to cause flashing when trapped in the mold. With this method, you could even hold the weight central. But way too fiddly for any kind of production rate.

2. install a retaining pin/wire in the mold. This will stop the weight blowing back to the tail. This would be simple to do, but would entail mold modifications and render the mold unsaleable. I would suggest making a test mold from plaster, to test the idea before attacking expensive ally molds.

3. Steel balls and strong magnets? Naaah!

I am sure more ideas will be fourth comming.

Dave

I think that it'll end up on one side or the other if it doesn't get pushed to the rear. With a stick bait, it's not a big deal.

On second thought, it'll end up in the rear unless you have figured out a way to keep the weight suspended when the mold is stood on end.

Titanium dust in the plastisol??? sand and salt is cheaper and microwave better.

How bout a swimbait jig in ultra low weights? Could do it with RTV or POP or just cut down a jig from a mass produced mold once poured.

1/64 or 1/32oz with a #1 EWG worm hook. Cheaper, easier, and available.

If it was me, I'd add salt, sand and softener til I got what I wanted

Not trying to be a know-it-all or a smartass. I've had 6 beers on an empty stomach after working all night, and this is when I like to post the most. LOL

goodnight guys...errrr... good day??? Anyway, good luck

If the weighting material is not in suspension the balance and action of the bait will be ruined. The weight will just end up in the tail. The worm would then probably twist in the line due to the tail sinking. Tungsten powder or silica powder would be the best bet for adding weight.

I think that it'll end up on one side or the other if it doesn't get pushed to the rear. With a stick bait, it's not a big deal.

On second thought, it'll end up in the rear unless you have figured out a way to keep the weight suspended when the mold is stood on end.

Titanium dust in the plastisol??? sand and salt is cheaper and microwave better.

How bout a swimbait jig in ultra low weights? Could do it with RTV or POP or just cut down a jig from a mass produced mold once poured.

1/64 or 1/32oz with a #1 EWG worm hook. Cheaper, easier, and available.

If it was me, I'd add salt, sand and softener til I got what I wanted

Not trying to be a know-it-all or a smartass. I've had 6 beers on an empty stomach after working all night, and this is when I like to post the most. LOL

goodnight guys...errrr... good day??? Anyway, good luck

Is tungsten

No

or silica cheaper than sand or salt?

Silica in this form is sand. Its just a pure silica sand. If I was making baits and wanted to use silica sand I would be buy by the bag at the local big box hardware store just for consistency. It has the added bonus that if I don't use it for baits I can use it in my sand blaster. I keep my excess from blasting in a five gallon plastic bucket. I would worry about moisture.

Will it perform better? Under what circumstances?

No clue, but I have often wondered if the absorbing qualities of salt are what make plastisol stiffer and more brittle when using it as an additive.

A paneling nail or a split shot won't do it.

I'm asking because I want to learn.

I go from cheap fixes and work my way up.

I like the glued thread idea by the way. I suspect if one were serious about that method you could come up with a jig to lay them out that would make molding and demolding fast enough. Of course getting it to actually work could be more difficult than the theory.

My own add to the idea for the handful of guys who make their own molds. There are some stick worm molds out there with hook slots. If I recall Gilbert made his that way for Mesa Tackle.

When you make your molds make them so that the raised piece that forms the hook slot (if not using a simple plate) has a holder for your weight at the front end. Hmmm ... I suppose it could be done with a pin and plate too with a little creativity.

Now I gotta go draw one up. LOL.

Edited by Bob La Londe

Be sure to wear the proper personal protective gear if you use silica or tungsten. Both have dust that can get into your lungs and kill you.

Best thing I have found is to use a wacky jig head (Kappu, Gamakatsu) and leave the weight out of my sticks all together. The action is better, I don't have to sweat the salt getting distributed evenly and I can make better colors.

Of course, this is just for my fishing needs. If you sell them, that might not fly.

Jim

Edited by ghostbaits