JMarshall

A Few Createx Questions

First time poster here and I've been making baits for a few years. Have a few questions regarding createx paints. First is the createx auto airbrush paint compatible with regular createx paints(they are both water based) and is it compatible with etex? Second what is a good primer to use before airbrushing that would be compatible with both createx and etex? Thanks!

Createx and AutoAir paints are compatible with each other. This comes from their tech department. I've even mixed the two when blending colors. They are both compatible with Etex. You will need to heat set the Createx with a hair dryer or heat gun to set the paint. Some have said the AutoAir doesn't need heat setting, but I do it anyway and have no problems. When painting plastic lures spraying a white base coat will make the colors pop a lot better. They will seem much brighter when sprayed over the white base coat. If your painting wooden lures you will need to seal the wood before painting.

Edited by RayburnGuy

Thanks for the response. I've never heat set the createx I though that was only if you were to apply etex immediately after paint. Normally my baits sit for a few days after paint before I have time to etex them. I seal my wood baits with two coats of sanding sealer and it seems to do the job.

Thanks for the response. I've never heat set the createx I though that was only if you were to apply etex immediately after paint. Normally my baits sit for a few days after paint before I have time to etex them. I seal my wood baits with two coats of sanding sealer and it seems to do the job.

Createx is actually a paint designed for painting t-shirts. Heat setting cross links the paint molecules so the paint doesn't wash away when the t-shirt is washed. The same thing applies to the way the paint works when it's used to paint baits. That doesn't mean it will make the paint waterproof and thus there's no need for a clear coat. If you'd like to read a better explanation of this process just go to the Createx website and check out the technical data provided there.

As far as your base coat goes. I use spray paint. I use flat white for crisp colors but if you start with a almond or antique base coat your final product seems to look more natural. It gives it that bone base coat. If you are going to finish in the blues or greens I suggest the white base. If you are trying to feather in blacks browns and greys you need to use the almond or antique.