muskydan666

Do You Wear A Respirator With Autoair Paints?

Dan,

I have started using a respirator and venting my booth while spraying anything. Even with Autoair, if the booth is not vented it can still get cloudy and smelly while spraying. I look at from the point of view that whether paint is high or low VOC, water based or water borne, if you breath it in it is still collecting in your lungs, so I figure why risk it.

I dont know whether it is BS or not, but many paint reps have told me that even though it is water based or water borne, there is still some sort of solvent in there which can do damage in the end. Autoair tech sheet itself also states that the paint is 0.1VOC and respirator should be used.

In the end it is personal preferrence, if you know all the risks and make an informed decision you have made the correct one for yourself. You can always change.

Angus

I personally think if you've got some decent ventilation your probably ok, but if not you'd be wise to use some sort of resperator.....I use to airbrush alot of tee shirts in my garage with no ventilation what so ever, and although I never noticed any health issues, I did notice all the pretty colors when I'd blow my nose.....I figure its probably not a good thing to have all that paint in my lungs, so I built a simple exhaust setup and have been using something to vent away fumes for the past 25+ years....the only time I now use a mask is when I shoot with a mini or full size spray gun and always when spraying clear coat.

This is FISHSNIPER, I always use a respirator when I use solvent based paints. This conversation was very detailed talked about in CLACKAMAS COLLAGES AUTOMOTIVE PINSTRIPING AND AIRBRUSHING CLASSES FROM THE TOP AIRBRUSHER IN THE WORLD MICKY HARRIS AND DAVE BRADLY INSTRUCTORS OF THE FINE FINISH DEPT. OK On the water based paints as your using (NO) you do not need to use a mask or respirator. KNOW if you are creating alot of paint dust in the air get a suction fan to pull it out of the room. Airbrushes in general dont create huge amounts of paint fumes water base only. KEEP A FUN RUNNING IN THE ROOM FOR DRYING AND SLOW CURING. ALWAYS USE SAFETY MASKS WHEN USING SOLVENT BASED PAINTS..REMEMBER TO ALL AIRBRUSHES THAT TRYIN TO LEARN. REMEMBER THIS BIG TIME.IF FROM THE METAL OR PLASIC LURE TO START. NEVER USE SPRAY CAN PRIMER OR PRIMER THAT COMES OUT OF A PRESSURE SYSTEM WHITE OR BLACK, THAN USE WATER BASED PAINTS TO CREATE YOUR PAINT JOB TO YOUR DETAILED LIKING. THAN YOU SEE A NICE JOB AND PROUD OF IT. FINALLY YOU GET CLEAR COAT AUTOMOTIVE CLEAR OR THAT AWESOME SPRAY CAN CLEAR TO FINISH YOUR JOB.

WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BECAUSE YOU HAVE CREATED A WATER SANDWICH. IN WHICH YOUR PAINT JOB WILL PEAL OFF OVER TIME. THAN YOUR FRUSTRATED.

OK THAN MAKE SURE YOU ALWAYS USE SAME PAINTS ALL THE WAY THROUGH.,FROM BEING TO END. YES AT TIMES ITS COSTS MORE SOMETIMES IT TAKES LONGER.

YOU WILL BE HAPPY WITH YOUR EFFORTS AND PROUD OF YOURSELF.

LOONEYLURES-FISHSNIPERGREEN MONSTER DEC 2010.jpg

Is it bad do paint whitout any respirator with autoair paint???It's a non toxic water base paint so I guess not???cheers,Dan.

GREEN MONSTER DEC 2010.jpg

post-25044-0-81594900-1293079891_thumb.jpg