BigBaitkid

Evenly Putting Clear Coat

I have been struggling putting on the top coat for some of my 2 jointed jerkbaits. I have been drying them by hanging them on racks but the bottom always end up being uneven or dripping. I searched back and all it did was confuse me more. I also seen that some people use auto clear for top coating. I am really struggling and need help.

I have been using Devcon 2 ton. Where could I get a drying wheel?

You might try to do a search on this forum for dryers. There are some that made their own version using slow rotation motors salvaged from microwave ovens or BBQ rotisories.

If you rotate your baits by hand for twenty minutes, you shouldn't have sagging or drips.

D2T set up pretty fast.

You can use a swivel on one end that's attached to the bait and a stationary object, and a wire that's chucked in a variable speed drill that's attached to the other end of the bait.

Just turn it slowly, so it doesn't throw the epoxy off.

My drying wheel turns at 1 rpm, and that's fine for D2T, Etex, and any other epoxy top coat.

I started out with D2T and no lure turner, so I put wire hangers in the tail and the nose of the bait and reversed the bait nose-tail every little while for the first 30 minutes or so, until the epoxy had cured enough not to migrate. If you use epoxy, you WILL want to build yourself a lure turner to avoid the hassle. Guys use various slow speed motors for them - rotisserie grill motors, microwave turntable motors, or any other a/c motor that will turn 1-8 rpm. Alternatively, you can dip lures in polyurethane and hang them to dry. Moisture cured polyurethanes, water borne-oxygen cured polyurethane, etc work OK. They are typically thin enough that the excess finish will drip off the tail of the bait and you will not have the same problem you have with epoxy.

Ok. I'm not trying to hijack your post here :) . I've been running "tests" on different clears. I've tested the DV2 against other styles of clear. My "test" consist of just tossing them up in the air and letting them hit a concrete floor. The epoxy seems to chip. The best results I've had with my high tech analysis is when putting on 5 coats of clear lacquer with the airbrush. I can throw these things on the concrete and not chip them. Ive had the eyes pop off but no chips. Are there any drawback to this method other than having to put 5 coats on and some what time consuming?

Bill - If you're happy, you're happy. The only downsides I can think of might be yellowing of the finish from UV exposure and the fact that you're spraying lacquer thinner through an airbrush, which is hazardous without a mask rated for organic solvents. I'm wondering, have you considered just dipping the baits in the lacquer?