BigFoot

Stamina Powder Paint

I got my Stamina Powder paint in to try it out. I ordered the Black with blue flake. I heat up my jig head and shake up the can really well. Even got my wife to shake the can while i was heating up the jig and i dipped it and shook off the excess and put it back over the heat source. The blue flakes flake really well but the black comes rough. not the look but the feel of it. not glossy at all. is this what this brand powder does or am i doing something wrong. my plain black from pro-tec does fine. any hints and / or tips would be GREAT!

I may be wrong but I believe their paint is just repackaged pro-tec since they have the exact same color selection but anyway, most paint with flake in it will tend to feel rough because the paint melts and not the flake so the flake is on the outside of the paint. I haven't used that color but I have clear with flake as well as copperhead and it isn't smooth like plain colors.

Ok, so I tried to repaint and that didnt work. So Lure Parts Online service and I are trying things before I send it back for another batch. But what it looks like is that the powder is settling a hella lot quicker then my other powders. Like if I shake it for about 2 minutes itll settle before I can get the lid off and my jig ready to dip

I have had the same issue with brown w/black flake of theirs. I am 99 percent sure it is not re-packaged Pro tec. I made about 50 jigs with it and haven't used it since.

Tim

Ok, so I tried to repaint and that didnt work. So Lure Parts Online service and I are trying things before I send it back for another batch. But what it looks like is that the powder is settling a hella lot quicker then my other powders. Like if I shake it for about 2 minutes itll settle before I can get the lid off and my jig ready to dip

I got my Stamina Powder paint in to try it out. I ordered the Black with blue flake. I heat up my jig head and shake up the can really well. Even got my wife to shake the can while i was heating up the jig and i dipped it and shook off the excess and put it back over the heat source. The blue flakes flake really well but the black comes rough. not the look but the feel of it. not glossy at all. is this what this brand powder does or am i doing something wrong. my plain black from pro-tec does fine. any hints and / or tips would be GREAT!

Ok, it had been a while since I'd painted with this color so I went down to the garage this morning and did a few jigs to see if I could replicate your problem... and was successful. I found that on the initial flash of the paint, it is rough... but after curing the jigs in the toaster oven for 20 min. at 350*, they came out smooth and shiny.

Cure your jigs and the problem will be solved.

Ok, it had been a while since I'd painted with this color so I went down to the garage this morning and did a few jigs to see if I could replicate your problem... and was successful. I found that on the initial flash of the paint, it is rough... but after curing the jigs in the toaster oven for 20 min. at 350*, they came out smooth and shiny.

Cure your jigs and the problem will be solved.

Would that be the same time for an oven? What is your painting process so I can replicate it as close as possible.

Yes, same time and temp for a regular over... 350*F for 20-25 minutes. Preheat your oven before you put the jigs in. You may want to put a piece of aluminum foil on the bottom of the oven incase you have any drips.

You'll find that your jigs will be much more durable after curing too.

Yes, same time and temp for a regular over... 350*F for 20-25 minutes. Preheat your oven before you put the jigs in. You may want to put a piece of aluminum foil on the bottom of the oven incase you have any drips.

You'll find that your jigs will be much more durable after curing too.

I will try that tonite and let you know how it went. How do you heat your jigs before putting them in. I have been doing under candle flame and then I tried putting them in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes then putting them back in ... I did find last night that my black/blue flake paint settles fast too

I use my toaster oven with an internal thermometer to heat my jigs before dipping, I usually heat 20 at a time... but could heat 60 easily. I heat to 325*F before dipping and then I put them in a second oven at 350* to flash and cure. You could use 1 oven and just heat and dip at 350*, but that's a little too hot for some colors.

DSC02082.jpg

This is my heating and curing setup. I find it much easier to heat the jigs 20 at a time than 1 at a time.

These are the cheapest toaster ovens you can buy at $18 each and the thermometers are $4 each.

I use the needle nose pliers for handling the hot jigs.

GDC,

The Stamina powder is not Pro Tec. He is having a problem with the Stamina Powder. I have as well. I have been powder painting for several years now and cure all my baits. This is not a curing issue. The paint is not smooth on the jig before or after curing.

For the most part, I have never had problems with Pro Tec (excluding the watermelon pepper that I could never get to work for me). I have painted thousands of baits with Pro Tec powders, but this Stamin powder is a different animal. Obviously is works because that is what they paint heads with. Just can't figure it out.

GDC,

The Stamina powder is not Pro Tec. He is having a problem with the Stamina Powder. I have as well. I have been powder painting for several years now and cure all my baits. This is not a curing issue. The paint is not smooth on the jig before or after curing.

For the most part, I have never had problems with Pro Tec (excluding the watermelon pepper that I could never get to work for me). I have painted thousands of baits with Pro Tec powders, but this Stamin powder is a different animal. Obviously is works because that is what they paint heads with. Just can't figure it out.

I ordered 3 colors from them and the Brown with Black Flake is smooth except the flake but it piles in one area. I think a fluid bed will fix that problem. The Camo with Black Flake looks great. It is this Black with Blue Flake that wont smooth over. Like I said earlier the Lure Parts Online guys are also trying to help me through this. Even offered to send another batch. I just find it weird that the other 2 colors do not settle in the jar for a minute before I can see how full they are. But the Black and Blue Flake settles right after I shake it.

I tried the Green Pumpkin/Black flake paint from Lurepartsonline recently. My finished jig heads were very rough textured and curing them in the oven did not change anything. The finish was nothing like the Pro tec paint I have used for over a year.

I contacted Lurepartsonline and was told they have been having some complaints with the texture problem. They replaced my paint with Pro tec .

BTW I contacted the maker of pro tec powder paint and was told I could order any color for $19.99 lb.

Edited by Ronb

I also tried the gp with black flake and the brown with black flake, and had the same problems, the stuff is junk, I really wanted to give the paint a good try cause I liked the price and the colors, but I cant get it to not be textured. I have painted thousands of jigs with pro tec and have never had a problem, always turns out smooth and shiny, this stuff doesn't

I also tried the gp with black flake and the brown with black flake, and had the same problems, the stuff is junk, I really wanted to give the paint a good try cause I liked the price and the colors, but I cant get it to not be textured. I have painted thousands of jigs with pro tec and have never had a problem, always turns out smooth and shiny, this stuff doesn't

I had the GP with BF and the BROWN with BF and both those turned out great. The only I had problems with was the Black with blue flake