RiverMan

Weighting baits....again

This evening I had a bait that sat sideways in the water after weighting it. I looked at the lead holes and as far as I could tell they were all straight. I melted the lead into the holes so not sure what happened. Anybody else have this problem? What's the best cure? Thanks!!

Jed

Jed, rather than drill up into the body of the lure, I use a dremel tool to rout out grooves along the belly of the bait (a large one centered in the belly and a smaller one near the tail). This will keep the center of gravity as low as possible and aviods the tendancy for the tall colum of lead inside the bait to fall over.

Are you guys pouring the molten lead into the wooden bodies?? One of the guys that I work with pours lead bullets told me this was a big no no. He said that the moisture in the would could possibly cause the lead to spall out of the hole. Just be careful and for goodness sakes wear eye and face protection. I still have a scare on my hand from a hot lead incident 25 years ago!!

Hmmm, see that's what I was suspecting was happening. I think too tho that it's the high buoyancy of the cedar for these oversized baits I'm building. Think today I will try some a couple different kinds of woods and see what happens. I will also experiment with your idea splash. Thank you.

Jed