troutgnat

Top Coat/epoxy For Dipping Baits Into

Gentlemen,

I have been using Devcon 2ton for brushing my baits with 100% success and like it. However, I have recently started airbrushing lead spoons and their looking nice! However the brushing of the topcoat is a pain in the arse. I could dip and hang them a whole lot faster and do more quantity quicker. And let's face it, it's a spoon. I don't plan on being as particular with these as I would a crank or jerkbait!!! What do you recommend for a topcoat that I can find in a quart or so container that I can dip painted lead spoons.? Thanks.

Gentlemen,

I have been using Devcon 2ton for brushing my baits with 100% success and like it. However, I have recently started airbrushing lead spoons and their looking nice! However the brushing of the topcoat is a pain in the arse. I could dip and hang them a whole lot faster and do more quantity quicker. And let's face it, it's a spoon. I don't plan on being as particular with these as I would a crank or jerkbait!!! What do you recommend for a topcoat that I can find in a quart or so container that I can dip painted lead spoons.? Thanks.

i was watching some videos today and the guy had just regular clear....maybe the easiest to test would be to get the duplicolr clear that is already mixed, you just put in the paint gun and spray it. its like 25 for a quart. i used it on my supercharger so it holds up to heat well lol

i was watching some videos today and the guy had just regular clear....maybe the easiest to test would be to get the duplicolr clear that is already mixed, you just put in the paint gun and spray it. its like 25 for a quart. i used it on my supercharger so it holds up to heat well lol

I don't pretend to know all that much but you could consider going old school and buying 4 litre (gallon?) tins of gloss estapol, the stuff used for coating timber floors or kitchen timber benches. Then make a jig to hold lots of your spoons and dip direct into the tin and then hang the jig to dry.

I'm sure someone here will give a better explanation of what I'm trying to say. Anyway hope this helps.

I think you want to be using a polyurethane and the only one I've dipped spoons into is Dick Nite moisture cured polyurethane - it works great over water based paint and is very durable on spoons (Dick Nite is a spoon manufacturer after all!). It isn't being sold right now but there are other moisture cured polyurethanes (MCU's) sold as durable floor coatings, like Garco. The problem with super durable urethanes is that the best auto urethanes are two-part products containing toxic isocyanates and have a limited pot life once mixed, while one part MCU's harden upon exposure to atmospheric moisture, so are hard to store. So there's no free lunch. You might look into other one part auto or marine urethanes to see if any are tough enough for your application.

Deft has a Brushing Lacquer that works ok... Problems with it are you have to use createx Gloss coat over the paintjob otherwise it will wrinkle and it seems to react negativley towards soft plastics like worms and such. If those are manigable for you then you can get a quart for $20 at any Hardware store. Storage is easy and dries pretty hard.