soonyee

Mold Making Questions

Hello,

My apologies if this topic has been covered but I searched and could not find my answer.

I plan on using fiber glass resin (the one made by 3M found in automotive stores). My plan is to use the smooth side of a glass cutting board as the bottom. I plan on using a wood frame as the sides and then using a hot glue gun to seal the edges were the wood meets the glass and the corners of the wood frame.

My questions are:

1. will it be ok to use wood with the fiber glass resin?

2. will the fiber glass resin separate from the glass? or do I have to treat the glass with some type of oil to get it to release?

3. a little off topic question, will krazy glue stick to a not stick cooking surface?

Hmmmm, thats all the questions I have now. I am pretty sure I will develop more as I ponder the process in my head.

Thanks, in advance.

Hello,

My apologies if this topic has been covered but I searched and could not find my answer.

I plan on using fiber glass resin (the one made by 3M found in automotive stores). My plan is to use the smooth side of a glass cutting board as the bottom. I plan on using a wood frame as the sides and then using a hot glue gun to seal the edges were the wood meets the glass and the corners of the wood frame.

My questions are:

1. will it be ok to use wood with the fiber glass resin?

2. will the fiber glass resin separate from the glass? or do I have to treat the glass with some type of oil to get it to release?

3. a little off topic question, will krazy glue stick to a not stick cooking surface?

Hmmmm, thats all the questions I have now. I am pretty sure I will develop more as I ponder the process in my head.

Thanks, in advance.

Don't use glass, it will break. If not from heat, then from demolding. Also, heat from curing may melt the hot glue. I think the resin will soak into the wood, and harden, but never tried it.

Why not use some cheap plastic containers? Just have to search a few stores looking for a nice flat bottom.

Don't use glass, it will break. If not from heat, then from demolding. Also, heat from curing may melt the hot glue. I think the resin will soak into the wood, and harden, but never tried it.

Why not use some cheap plastic containers? Just have to search a few stores looking for a nice flat bottom.

I agree with FG, glass could be a problem. I know that ceramic tile works ok though.

Cheap polythene food containers work very well, but the problem is finding the dimensions that work for you. Can be difficult to find with a true flat bottom. When shopping with the missus, always throw a couple of containers into the trolley. Their will be frowns, but she will get over it.

I make my boxes from plywood, sealed to a plywood base with RTV sealant. Rub a few drops of water into the sealant to speed up the curing time (thanks Husky). To prevent the resin from soaking into the wood, I apply a generous coat of floor wax. Melt in an old tin and apply with an old paint brush.

Dave

Excellent points, I did not even think of.

I have been pondering the use of non-stick baking pans. They come in all different sizes and shapes. I just learned that tape will stick to the non-stick surface. Well gonna have to make a trip to the home store. If I could only use the one's in the kitchen cabinet, but I have a feeling my better half would kick me out to the dog house.