jesse1378

First Try At Scales, Please Leave Suggestions

ok, this was first try at scales. i used a loufa. it was a bit of a pain to work with..any suggestions on easier material to work with? i also went a step further and made the bait a REAL one of a kind. you can see it in the second pic. it didnt come out as cooth as i had wanted so next time i will thin it and spray it through the airbrush. i'm really excited about it and i cant wait to get better and put some baits in the water. Please leave any suggestion, comment, thoughts...whatever. feedback is a great learning tool for me. Thanks Jesse

scales 1.jpg

scales 2.jpg

scales 1.jpg

scales 2.jpg

scales 1.jpg

scales 2.jpg

scales 1.jpg

scales 2.jpg

scales 1.jpg

scales 2.jpg

scales 1.jpg

scales 2.jpg

scales 1.jpg

scales 2.jpg

scales 1.jpg

scales 2.jpg

post-23758-0-34387900-1293906227_thumb.jpg

post-23758-0-17319300-1293906239_thumb.jpg

The pic is a little blurry, but the scales seem to have turned out good. Here's a trick I use if I'm having trouble getting the scales to show up. Lets say your wanting your scale pattern to be black. You spray the bait black and then apply the scale material and then shoot your follow up colors over the black. Sometimes the follow up colors will bleed under the scale material and cover up the black paint. You won't have any scale pattern where this happens. This is what I do. I spray the bait with whatever color I want the scales to be. After blow drying it I apply the scale material. It needs to be wrapped tightly around the bait. I then spray another coat of the same color paint I want the scales to be over the netting. This way if anything bleeds under the netting it will be the same color I want the scales to be anyway.

The thing that works best for me to hold the scale material with is 2 Popsicle sticks, or tongue depressors, clamped with 2 small binder clips. Once the material is wrapped around the bait you can apply a binder clip on one end and pull the material tight on the opposite end. Then place the clip on that end and loosen the clip on the other end. Then the material can be pull taught on that end and the clip replaced. The tongue depressors are long enough that you can put the clips on the ends and they won't be in the way while spraying. (long enough on bass baits anyway) They're also thin enough that you can spray all but a very small portion of the belly of the bait. I pull the tongue depressors up tight against the belly of the bait and put the belly hook hanger between the two sticks. This helps hold everything straight.

hope this helps,

Ben

The pic is a little blurry, but the scales seem to have turned out good. Here's a trick I use if I'm having trouble getting the scales to show up. Lets say your wanting your scale pattern to be black. You spray the bait black and then apply the scale material and then shoot your follow up colors over the black. Sometimes the follow up colors will bleed under the scale material and cover up the black paint. You won't have any scale pattern where this happens. This is what I do. I spray the bait with whatever color I want the scales to be. After blow drying it I apply the scale material. It needs to be wrapped tightly around the bait. I then spray another coat of the same color paint I want the scales to be over the netting. This way if anything bleeds under the netting it will be the same color I want the scales to be anyway.

The thing that works best for me to hold the scale material with is 2 Popsicle sticks, or tongue depressors, clamped with 2 small binder clips. Once the material is wrapped around the bait you can apply a binder clip on one end and pull the material tight on the opposite end. Then place the clip on that end and loosen the clip on the other end. Then the material can be pull taught on that end and the clip replaced. The tongue depressors are long enough that you can put the clips on the ends and they won't be in the way while spraying. (long enough on bass baits anyway) They're also thin enough that you can spray all but a very small portion of the belly of the bait. I pull the tongue depressors up tight against the belly of the bait and put the belly hook hanger between the two sticks. This helps hold everything straight.

hope this helps,

Ben

thanks alot ben. i have some popsicle sticks layin on my bench.

the second pic is the samw bait as the first pic, it is just lit with a black light.