ryanwood99

Slowing Down Epoxy Set Time?

I've tried denatured alcohol, lacquer thinner, and acetone - and denatured alcohol works best for me. Mixing 4-5 drops of denatured alcohol into your mixed D2T (enough for 3-4 bass baits) will just about double the brush time. Acetone and lacquer thinner tend to evaporate very quickly and can leave you with a tacky bait hours later, which denatured alcohol will not. The alcohol will thin the epoxy a little but will not detract from the overall cure in either time or hardness: it will still be ready to fish in 24 hrs. It's best to add the alcohol a few drops at a time so you don't over-do it. I always add it to my D2T when topcoating baits in cool conditions. You can also use denatured alcohol/D2T as an undercoating/waterproofer on raw wood. In that application, you can use more alcohol - up to 50%. But it will tend to raise the wood grain a little, which will require light sanding and application of a 2nd coat. Used as both an undercoating and a topcoat, the bait comes out very smooth and very bullet proof.