wchilton

Experimenting With Colors (tip)

Haven't seen this in past posts so thought I'd share. I'm new to pouring my own baits and in my first few pours have already had some color "surprises". I decided I'd better figure out a way to test color combos separately from the pouring process to (a) save on plastic (B) reduce the number of off-color lures that I will probably never use and © be able to develop a color formula while not having to deal with hot plastic, heat adjustment, etc.

Here's what I came up with. I bought a clear bottle of baby oil at the local grocery (the cheaper the better) and now test colors in that medium. Any clear oil should work for this. For initial testing, I only use 1 oz of oil and then scale my recipe appropriately. When I'm close to what I want I can always up the test-batch size and tweak the recipe. The test batch needs to be kept stirred, flake and heavier colors separate out relatively fast. If I need to see what the color looks like for thinner appendages I can just dump the whole thing in a zip-lock bag and manipulate to get whatever thickness I want. The final test, of course, is to pour a few baits in the new color, but hopefully this little trick will speed up the process a bit.

Regards,

Warren

I bought a clear bottle of baby oil at the local grocery (the cheaper the better) and now test colors in that medium. Any clear oil should work for this. For initial testing, I only use 1 oz of oil and then scale my recipe appropriately. When I'm close to what I want I can always up the test-batch size and tweak the recipe. The test batch needs to be kept stirred, flake and heavier colors separate out relatively fast. If I need to see what the color looks like for thinner appendages I can just dump the whole thing in a zip-lock bag and manipulate to get whatever thickness I want.

That is a neat idea, not seen before. Try glycerine, much cheaper, I paid a few $$ for a litre, plus you won't antagonize your wife.

Dave

how do you figure they are color surprises? did you just think every bait was going to be a killer? that is how you gain experience in a creative hobby in my eyes!! also there shouldnt be any wasted plastic as long as you keep the pearls and hilites down to a manageable level it can all be made into black. then you dont have to waste baby oil, colorant and flake!!

Really clever idea! Thanks!

I might even get organized enough to make a notebook of my colors, instead of constantly having to "reinvent the wheel".

Oh I would keep a notebook if I were you. I work out all my recipes in one in my shop. Once I settle on the recipe I also transfer to my computer as a back up. It is so nice to be able to flip back and forth when making different ones so I recommend a spiral.

Oh I would keep a notebook if I were you. I work out all my recipes in one in my shop. Once I settle on the recipe I also transfer to my computer as a back up. It is so nice to be able to flip back and forth when making different ones so I recommend a spiral.

Good idea. I just got a new package of pocket spirals for the new year. One will definately go into the garage, hung by a piece of braid above the work bench.

That is a neat idea, not seen before. Try glycerine, much cheaper, I paid a few $$ for a litre, plus you won't antagonize your wife.

Dave

Dave...I was tring to match a color today and used your idea about using glycerine...I'm glad I did it that way for 2 reasons...1 I tweaked it so many times that when I finally got it just the color I wanted I forgot Frank said I needed to add salt which will change the color and 2 by the time I was finished I totally lost track of how many drops of the different colors I used and now have to start over being much more diligent about writing it down...saved me 8 oz of plastic!...lol

I've been using the baby oil to experiment with color for a week or so and it works out fine. I play with only about 1oz at a time in a 2 oz disposable "condiment cup" and keep a cup/can on the table to dump "used" material into. Quick and easy to try several color combos. Haven't tried glycerine yet but I will. It might match the viscosity of hot plastic a bit better so colors don't settle as fast. My original idea was to use clear shampoo to test solid colors but it was too thick and got too many bubbles while mixing...also couldn't see it working with liquid colorants.

W

Great idea,

I have been trying to figure out a better way to make the colors more consistant. i am thinking about going from "drops" to "ml" i just need to find a good converstion that way each time i have the same amount.

do you heat the baby old like plastic are just mix it am a little confused lol and what is glycerine and where do u get it?

Great idea,

I have been trying to figure out a better way to make the colors more consistant. i am thinking about going from "drops" to "ml" i just need to find a good converstion that way each time i have the same amount.

[/qdo you heat the baby oil are just mix it up and what is glycerine and where do you get it

The problem is that ml or millilitre is a BIG measurement compared to the 'drop'. Officially, a metric drop is 1/20th of a ml, but that does not mean that all drops are the same. Drop size depends on viscosity, so you cannot even compare a drop of one color with another. The best you can do for consistency is to use the same dropper each time and record the numbers.

You could weigh the paint measures, but again, each paint color is a different density, so you are back in the same position as the drops. I say stick with the drops, unless you are mixing gallons at a time. JMHO.

Dave

ps. aparently American drops are bigger, LOL. Here is a link to a discussion on the subject: http://forum.onlineconversion.com/showthread.php?t=618

Edited by Vodkaman

[/qdo you heat the baby oil are just mix it up and what is glycerine and where do you get it

NO HEATING of oil or glycerine. That's one of the things that keeps this easy.

You could also use worm oil or any other clear oil. The baby oil was just easily available and inexpensive. Since it is mineral oil you don't want

to get any on your plastic baits.

I think you can get glycerine at any pharmacy. Look around near the first-aid area.

I've noticed that nearly all the color (both liquid and powder) settles to the bottom of my discard cup. Gonna see if I can recycle the oil

for more color testing by pouring through a coffee filter. The oil has just a slight grey tint just by allowing color to settle so could actually

be reused as-is for colors that don't need an absolutely clear base.

W