DeltaMan

3d Scales On A Hard Bait

I am extremely curious to know if any of you have ever tried putting scales on a wooden bait and if it worked. I'd like to know some manner of creating texture on my baits but i don't know where to start.

there is a vidoe i think its on youtube were the guy uses foil and creates all types of scale patters with various things.

I have been doing this for 2 years now I use hologram prism tape from WTP Inc. either punched out with a diamond shaped punch or I cut out the scales with a scale shaped punch that cuts out the holo scales from the transparent backing. This is the same Magic Scales effect that luckycraft uses on their baits I have done over 35 patterns like this and my clientelle try to keep it hush hush but every now and then it gets out the LC gunmetal shad and crack were a couple of colors that were showed/gave to skeet reese at the blue ridge brawl at Smith Mountain Lake VA in 2008 by one of my former clients try red scales on a red craw with a chartreuse belly or copper scales on a brown crawfish colored bait I also done a JSJ snack size shad and original double joint in a deep candy red with copper and gold scales it screams CARP or sucker

I am more looking for a way to put the scales on a bait so that i could use the bait to make a mold and have several reproductions of the same bait with scales not on the outside of the bait but part of the bait itself. You know what i mean? if not i could clarify.

Seems to me their are three methods to achieve carved 3D scales:

1 - chisels, carving knives etc.

2 - engraving techniques, dremel tools etc.

3 - wood burning tools.

These methods have been skirted around on this forum, but I cannot remember any thread that really got to grips with the subject, which kinda surprises me. Why not document your progress with photos and written comentary of your experiences (good and bad) and post it.

The thing to remember is that you will be applying one or two coats of a thick top coat, so the scale carving will need to be exagerated so that the texture shows through the coatings.

Practise on scrap pieces first, to get into the technique.

Here are a couple of web sites that I found with a simple search of "carving fish scales":

http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/forum/f60/small-scale-fish-carving-15831/

http://www.fishcarver.com/making_fish_scale_tips.htm

http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/forum/f40/carving-fish-scales-12086/

Their are video results too covering carving and burning.

Good luck and I look forward to your instructional thread.

Dave

I have been doing this for 2 years now I use hologram prism tape from WTP Inc. either punched out with a diamond shaped punch or I cut out the scales with a scale shaped punch that cuts out the holo scales from the transparent backing. This is the same Magic Scales effect that luckycraft uses on their baits I have done over 35 patterns like this and my clientelle try to keep it hush hush but every now and then it gets out the LC gunmetal shad and crack were a couple of colors that were showed/gave to skeet reese at the blue ridge brawl at Smith Mountain Lake VA in 2008 by one of my former clients try red scales on a red craw with a chartreuse belly or copper scales on a brown crawfish colored bait I also done a JSJ snack size shad and original double joint in a deep candy red with copper and gold scales it screams CARP or sucker

I've been trying this method although I'm not thrilled with the results. I've been using a round punch and cutting the round punch out in half. Where did you find the punches you are using?

I've looked at the wood burning stuff... It looks tedious. I do wonder whether or not there is a material that could be used to just hammer in the bait to give it texture and go from their... Trying to think outside of the box here. I believe a new method of making scales is soon needed.

I've been trying this method although I'm not thrilled with the results. I've been using a round punch and cutting the round punch out in half. Where did you find the punches you are using?

Dont tell my wife but they came from her scrapbooking punches she has a punch with about 100 different attachments and one is a diamond shape I also tried the 1/4 moon punch but it takes too much time to align those

Here are some pics of a scaling tool I made. I made it from a 1/4" steel rod. The tools I used were a dremel with a grinding bit and a round file.

IMG_2067 copy.jpg

IMG_2068 copy.jpg

This is the tool I used to do the scale patterns on the bait in my gallery. The other scales I did are made with a wood-burning tool. I used the wood-burner without plugging it in, as it gets too hot for PVC.

This works very well on PVC baits, but you might run into some issues with wooden baits. Wooden baits require sealing, and it could be difficult to seal the bait and avoid covering the scale pattern with whatever sealer was used. An epoxy would probably smooth over the scales, and a thinner sealer might let the woodgrain show through. You might be able to make it work by foiling directly over the scales instead of sealing. Then the scales would still be visible after paint and topcoat.

I don't have to worry about this because I'm using PVC and it doesn't require sealing. I'm sure there's a way to make this system work with wooden baits; it just might take a bit of experimenting to find the best way.

I hope this helps.

Ben

IMG_2067 copy.jpg

IMG_2068 copy.jpg

IMG_2067 copy.jpg

IMG_2068 copy.jpg

IMG_2067 copy.jpg

IMG_2068 copy.jpg

IMG_2067 copy.jpg

IMG_2068 copy.jpg

IMG_2067 copy.jpg

IMG_2068 copy.jpg