zosoo7

Beginners Literature

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I'm not seeing it addressed on the forum anywhere. I'm new to building cranks, and I'm wondering if you guys recommend any particular books or writings on getting started? Am I better off researching on sites like TU? Thanks.

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I'm not seeing it addressed on the forum anywhere. I'm new to building cranks, and I'm wondering if you guys recommend any particular books or writings on getting started? Am I better off researching on sites like http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/forum/48-hardbait-how-to/

These will answer a lot of questions that you may have, they will bring you upto speed on terminology and give you more ideas on what to search for when you want more detailed information or another perspective. Their is always another way of doing things, just about everyone does something different in their process.

If you cannot find something or you would like to have a discussion about a particular problem or solution, start a new thread with your question.

Dave

Thanks for the bread crumb link Dave! I'm a software engineer and have spent many a hours on forums, so I realize there is lot of archived information I can find or search on once I become more familiar with the layout of the site. I'm really looking forward to learning more about this community.

Tackle underground is the gold mine for lure making info. If you can't find it here it probably doesn't exist. If you have a specific question, just ask and you will get all the info you need. You will see lures that are to pretty to fish with, many should be pieces of art. You will find input from guys all over the world who will help you anyway they can. Welcome to an addicting hobby. Remember read, ask questions and take your time when building.

Rotorhead

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I'm not seeing it addressed on the forum anywhere. I'm new to building cranks, and I'm wondering if you guys recommend any particular books or writings on getting started? Am I better off researching on sites like TU? Thanks.

Welcome to the Tackleunderground :yay: !

That book recommended by "not a bear" is quite nice , beautiful patterns in there , but IMO the containing topcoating info is poor , ....I have it and also own some other luremaking books in English language , but these are not as good in my opinion or even out of print for decades .

The best hardbait carving book , that I have , is the German edition of a Swedish book , and sadly it is not available in English , I guess .

A very nice book about any aspect of tackle making is this one :

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Tackle-Making/dp/1558217215

1/3 of it's contents is on rod building , but also has a chapter about carving hardbaits(like ANY other type of lures) .

If you need lure patterns or input on certain lure models , such books like "Making Wooden Fishing Lures" are quite good , but IMO they lack info about the latest methods in constructing , painting and topcoating , ........so the internet is probably a better bet ?

Apart from this site there are quite a few others to be discovered , you can utilize Google searches , also on YouTube you can find a few instructional video's to get you started to join our great passion , ....just type in some matching keywords into the search bar .

good luck , diemai :yay:

Diemai,

What's the name of the German book? I can still read German even though my spoken has gone to seed.

Welcome to the Tackleunderground :yay: !

It is this one , it's the original issue :

http://www.amazon.de/Wobbler-Hans-Nordin/dp/3275013092

This is a cheaper , licensed reprint ,..... the outer book size is a bit smaller , but the contents in text , style and pictures are absolutely identical .

http://www.amazon.de/Wobbler-Kunst-K%C3%B6der-selber-Hans-Nordin/dp/3008939007/ref=pd_sim_b_1

The book is not quite up-to-date in terms of modern topcoats , also no thorough describtions about airbrushing in there , .......but the author(a famous Swedish angler and host of TV angling shows in Sweden) describes a great variety of proven crankbait models for pike , zander(European walleye) and perch , both of his own design and also knock-offs of famous commercials .

He also talks about modifications to single models to perform somewhat different in wiggle , swimming action and diving depth .

Also contains a chapter about lure dynamics(body and lip shape influences), .......a great chapter only about hand brushing and paint designs in there as well .

Since the time of writing during the 1990's there were almost no lure components available in Europe , ....... all describtions are based on homemade lips of polycarbonate and aluminium sheet , also only short shanked screw eyes from the hardware store are used , ............but no problem to alter the designs to more "modern" stuff .

I can truly say , that this book has become the "bible" of many German lure carvers and has done it's share to spawn a certain circle of local lure builders during past years , that one can meet on various local websites nowadays .

I can highly recommend it , ....not only to a newbie , ......alone the sketches in there are worthwile a purchase .

greetz , diemai :yay:

Edited by diemai