bassmancup

Dipping Pot

Has anyone seen or heard of a really large pot with a stirer to dip tubes and other baits in. I have been using two Presto Pots with a stirer and they work great, however, I can only dip 4 or 8 tubes at a time even after I changed how I mount the motor several times. If I could make a bigger pot, stirrer and heat source I could be much more efficient and consistent. Has anyone ever made one. I'd like to dip 20 or 50 or more at a time. My back is killing me from dipping these things for hours. I'd even buy one if it was the right price and actually worked.

Has anyone seen or heard of a really large pot with a stirer to dip tubes and other baits in. I have been using two Presto Pots with a stirer and they work great, however, I can only dip 4 or 8 tubes at a time even after I changed how I mount the motor several times. If I could make a bigger pot, stirrer and heat source I could be much more efficient and consistent. Has anyone ever made one. I'd like to dip 20 or 50 or more at a time. My back is killing me from dipping these things for hours. I'd even buy one if it was the right price and actually worked.

the guys that I know that do it for a living use long black iron (or steel) retangular pots, 4x6inch wide up 8inchs deep

they use gas burners to heat the plastic

above that is a rack, they dip as many long as they can fit dip once set up on the rack grab another rack dip again.

a few of the guys have different tubs of plastic at different temps and just move the rack.

also you can use salt in the tanks and make a mixer that wont get into the way of the dipping process.

some guys have it automated and it can be built very easy using home tools out of your garage.

I have some drawings somewere that I made for a guy, He did the work I just drew it up for him and make him a few parts.

theres many ways to do it, just need to use your imagination.

Blueing tanks from gunsmithing should be deep enough also. Brownells sells some blueing tanks.

Delw

heres a link to brownells, tank burner stand etc

the tank is cheaper than I thought it would be

http://www.brownells...ts/Metal_Bluing

LOL. Isn't that great. When it comes to gunsmithing tools nobody has the selection of Brownell's. They know it and they price accordingly too. Its almost like Christmas when you are pleasantly surprised by the price from them. (I just finished redoing an old beater shotgun with Brownell's parts. Parts cost more than the gun. LOL)

To the OP. Sorry for the OT post. I don't have a better answer for you than Del's.

Thanks Del,

I have been been thinking about something like that. The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is the stirer. What about an auger in the bottom??? Anyone ever try it. I can't figure out how else to put a stirer in there that I can change out when I change colors and will still be out of the way when I am dipping with that much plastic.

Thanks Del,

I have been been thinking about something like that. The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is the stirer. What about an auger in the bottom??? Anyone ever try it. I can't figure out how else to put a stirer in there that I can change out when I change colors and will still be out of the way when I am dipping with that much plastic.

Thats the tricky part. this is what I know was tried.

small air tubes piped in with copper on the bottom, a roatisory motor(sp)with an auger system like you mentoned going length wise

one that did work but took some room, I think like every 4 or 5 tubes wide, used electric egg beater motor for the drive. and pulleys every 4-5 tubes with paddles on them. to connect them you use a rubber band so to speak. its a industrial rubber band comes in a roll about 1/8-3/16 diameter you cut to length and fuse together with a lighter. the pulleys are simple its just a grooved rod so to speak with a set screw in it to lock it to the shafts. you put the rubber band around like a figure 8 so each one goes in the opposite direction. ie 1 top 1 bottom 1 top 1 bottom etc etc.

remember that old toy we used to have when we were kids, it had a bunch of round parts with holes in it and a bunch of rods to stick together and build stuff.? thats what I got the idea off of, sounds corny but it worked. so I made them out of alum for the guy.

Delw