Frank

Here Is A New One

I have heard about this one for a while and it is out now. No it is not a two color but I hear one is in the making. Price seams a little better to me. Frank

http://stores.jacobs...bait/Detail.bok

I bet you could use two of them with a mixing manifold. :D

I think Jacob should send me one so I could copy it.

Pricing is a lot better. I would have to inquire about the mixing process, as in, Is that the mixer on top that he turns?

Also, how does this press handle salt rich plastisol?

Once Bob copies it, he can tells us!!!! :D

Jim

I bet he wouldn't even sell me one now after that crack. :lol: ROFL. I wonder why the hand crank. I would think one of those cheap gear motors from American Science & Surplus and a small power supply would be just the ticket if it will turn it. Or maybe both. Handcrank to get it going and get it through the transition stages, and the gear motor to keep it stirred.

I have talked to him a little bit about it. As of now it takes 20 to 30 minutes to heat up to temp. This is the prototype and the newer one will be insulated in a box to help heat it up faster. It hold a quart of plastic. I knida like the hand stir way, my thinking is you will introduce less bubbles that way just stir and shoot. Right now that is what I do anyways. A bottom pour is new for me though. I will post a review when I get mine in a couple of weeks. Frank

I am very interested, I hope to hear your review in a couple of weeks Frank. I am wondering if you could heat the plastic in the microwave transfer it to this to speed it up.

You hit it right on the head with that one. Once it is hot add more hot plastic and reheated sprues back into the pot and go again. One of the issues with injection machines is what to do with sprues this one makes it easy to just add it back. I will be getting the one in this video and i believe all others will be the new version. Frank

I have talked to him a little bit about it. As of now it takes 20 to 30 minutes to heat up to temp. This is the prototype and the newer one will be insulated in a box to help heat it up faster. It hold a quart of plastic. I knida like the hand stir way, my thinking is you will introduce less bubbles that way just stir and shoot. Right now that is what I do anyways. A bottom pour is new for me though. I will post a review when I get mine in a couple of weeks. Frank

Why would using a low speed gear motor to keep it stirred uniformly introduce any more bubbles than hand stirrring at unknow speeds, or in a hurry to make sure its mixed just before you inject.

do we have a Presto Pot here? or am I missing something?

Looks like it uses air pressure for low pressure injection rather than just gravity feed pouring like a tapped presto pot. Watch the video. I had to watch it a couple times before I realized they were actually shooting plastic. At first I thought they were just doing a dry run.

I can heat up 4 cups of plastic in a Presto Pot a lot faster than the 20 minutes Frank mentioned though. Even if this machine turns out to be the cat's meow I think I'ld still have Presto pots for getting the plastic ready.

I've never used a pot, so I'm only guessing here, but isn't there a good chance the salt and flake will be heavier in the first baits, because it's a bottom pour, unless you constantly stir it?

When I hand pour, or use my meat injector, I have to constantly stir to keep the salt and flake up off the bottom, and, even then, it still settles pretty quickly.

Once it's drawn up into the injector, it doesn't seem to be an issue, but it is when I'm hand pouring out of a pyrex cup.

I typically add at least 1oz of salt to 4oz of plastic, and 1oz of softner.

I just finished the Del's plastic I had been using, the medium soft, and am going to start on a bottle of the new green plastic from Lurecraft in the super soft mix. I'm guessing I won't need any additional softener with that.

I've never used a pot, so I'm only guessing here, but isn't there a good chance the salt and flake will be heavier in the first baits, because it's a bottom pour, unless you constantly stir it?

I just finished the Del's plastic I had been using, the medium soft, and am going to start on a bottle of the new green plastic from Lurecraft in the super soft mix. I'm guessing I won't need any additional softener with that.

I have a 4 blade mixer installed on mine Mark. Does a pretty good job of keeping things stirred up, especially just flake.

I doubt you will need softener unless it is truly super soft (medium) and not super-super soft (maximum flexibility).

Jim

frank anything that pours/shoots out of the bottom will have less bubbles even none in most cases!!

good point. But it is nice to see someone trying to do it and not just talking about it. I am not saying it is the cats meow but I will give it a try before I put it down. Frank

Edited by Frank

That is one neat looking contraption! I'm looking forward to Frank's unbiased findings as usual. Frank, if you ever stop pouring, everyone is screwed. Your efforts are applauded :worship:

I have a feeling that if you use a denser plastic which requires less salt, keeping it mixed and injecting consistant sticks won't be the issue some think. :? But, I've been known to be wrong before. Just ask my wife! :lol:

good point. But it is nice to see someone trying to do it and not just talking about it. I am not saying it is the cats meow but I will give it a try before I put it down. Frank

LOL. I'm not putting it down Frank. I just look at everything with a critical (not negative) eye. Even my own stuff. It would pay to get some feedback on thinking processes from the maker at this point.

For example the choice not to put a stirring motor on the machine...

Was it purely financial?

(The motor is probably cheaper than the pullies and/or gears to drive the shaft.)

Was it because there wasn't an easy way to do it and still have the paddle retractable for opening and closing?

(There is an easy way by the way. Two I can think of.)

Was there some other reason?

(At the moment I am blank, but there are more possibilities I am sure.)

And... I suppose if being properly critical I should list a positive trait. I really like the handwheel and rack for raising and lowering the whole machine to provide clearance for various molds and pressure on it when injecting.

That is one neat looking contraption! I'm looking forward to Frank's unbiased findings as usual. Frank, if you ever stop pouring, everyone is screwed. Your efforts are applauded :worship:

I have a feeling that if you use a denser plastic which requires less salt, keeping it mixed and injecting consistant sticks won't be the issue some think. :? But, I've been known to be wrong before. Just ask my wife! :lol:

If you ask my wife the only thing I have ever been right about is marrying her. The sinking plastics out right now do require less salt and will pour at a real low temp when under pressure. But this is new and yes there will be issues but it is a machine that was built by the person that will be able to address problems and concerns as they arise. Will it be perfect No but it looks like a good start. Frank

I think he has been listening to people and with more bells and whistles comes a higher price. I just got mine today and will try it out on saterday. Alot of work went into this and the first thing I will say is that the smoothness of the handles and basic machine is pretty impressive. I got the one in the video but I hear the newest version will be much better. Will post my first pour trials soon. Frank