Frank

Here Is A New One

OK could not wait for saturday. I fired it up last night. It did take a long time to warm up, like an hour or so. This he told me up front so it was no surprise. The reason it is the prototype. But when it got up to temp I started to inject it was going just fine. I could just fill and demold and fill again and again and again. Now because it was my first time using this I did not use plastic that is easy to pour, I used a plastic that in my opinion was not injectable. It was way to thick and cooled to fast to get a good bait. This machine injected it with ease. I will say though the molds needed to be above room temp to fill all the way. I was injecting a bait with long thin legs and at first they did not fill. So I boosted up the pressure a little and perfect fill every time. With the sprues I put them in a cup and micro'd them and added back. I have to say though it was pretty wierd to keep going and demold again and again till no more plastic is there. One thing I will admit when I stopped and there was no more plastic the stuff left in the bottom did burn. I think it was because of the heat left in the unit. Next time I will leave some plastic in there so it will not do that. But for the first time it did work great. Today I will use salt and give another report. Over all it did work and with plastic that is so hard to use I though I was going to have to throw it away. The hand stirring was not an issue just a few spins once in a while and good to go. Frank

OK could not wait for saturday. I fired it up last night. It did take a long time to warm up, like an hour or so. This he told me up front so it was no surprise. The reason it is the prototype. But when it got up to temp I started to inject it was going just fine. I could just fill and demold and fill again and again and again. Now because it was my first time using this I did not use plastic that is easy to pour, I used a plastic that in my opinion was not injectable. It was way to thick and cooled to fast to get a good bait. This machine injected it with ease. I will say though the molds needed to be above room temp to fill all the way. I was injecting a bait with long thin legs and at first they did not fill. So I boosted up the pressure a little and perfect fill every time. With the sprues I put them in a cup and micro'd them and added back. I have to say though it was pretty wierd to keep going and demold again and again till no more plastic is there. One thing I will admit when I stopped and there was no more plastic the stuff left in the bottom did burn. I think it was because of the heat left in the unit. Next time I will leave some plastic in there so it will not do that. But for the first time it did work great. Today I will use salt and give another report. Over all it did work and with plastic that is so hard to use I though I was going to have to throw it away. The hand stirring was not an issue just a few spins once in a while and good to go. Frank

Frank;

Sounds like a cool injector.

Can you post a video, so we can get a real close up look?

i tried the link, but someone took down the video of it working.

Thanks, Dale

Edited by Maddoglures

I dont think I will post a video, it is a prototype and the new one will be differant. I had a big order I worked on last night so I did not get to use it with salt. Should be able to today. Frank

And Maddog you are close enough to just drive down and see it.

I dont think I will post a video, it is a prototype and the new one will be differant. I had a big order I worked on last night so I did not get to use it with salt. Should be able to today. Frank

And Maddog you are close enough to just drive down and see it.

Dale, Pick me up along the way :D

You too Romeo, You are even closer than Dale. I talked to Rick today and he gave me some pointers. Heat settings and pressures. His new one is just about done with improvements. I know the hand mixer was one thing that I would not change my baits came out consistant and see no real reason for the added cost. We talked about the two color one too. But that is another thread at a later date. Frank

Romeo, no road trips for me. Just to busy.

Trying to get my new Flippin Craws in stock.

I hope the new upgraded machine has a video.

Frank, give me a call when you get some free time, I would like to hear how everything is working as far as production.

Your Friend, Dale

Romeo, no road trips for me. Just to busy.

Trying to get my new Flippin Craws in stock.

I hope the new upgraded machine has a video.

Frank, give me a call when you get some free time, I would like to hear how everything is working as far as production.

Your Friend, Dale

The new one is on his site. And the old video is there too. Go to you tube and search jacobs baits, its there. The new one is in a box to insulate it. Good looking work. I will give you a call Dale pm me your # I cant find it. Frank

How many molds does it take to be able to be either injecting or demolding with no standing around waiting for the plastic to cool?

I was doing it with four two cavity molds. The molds were getting hot so my table with the aluminium blocks worked out well to help cool the molds. Also as mentioned before you can still micro new oplastic and add it to the tank and keep going. It does not have to be heated in the press. A quart of plastic is alot to me. Frank

Frank,

So after using the new machine for about a month how is it working? Do you think it has helped speed up the process up? I am looking for some more feedback from you or anyone else that is using it.

Ok here is the honest truth. I LOVE it. It had some issues with the mixing blade when using salt. But that is fixed now. I have talked to Rick alot about it and have come to the conclusion it is worth every penny. The mixing blade is now tapered to get closer to the bottom and keeps things mixed well. I have ran about ten gallons through it and have yet to have an issue. Like I said before having four mold with two cavitys keeps you going. I have filled up some four cavity ones with out so much as a hickup. The new one will be fitted with an additional heat band to speed up the heating process( about twenty minutes) but once it is there it stays there as long as you want. Jacobs baits will have a few more units ready in days to come. Overall I really cant say anything negative about it. I have it set up to fill the tallest molds I have and will probably leave it that way. I asked him if I could post a video and he said yes. So soon I will post a video of some production.Frank

Finally got some time to make a video of the unit. It is a prototype so it looks a little differant. Hope you enjoy the tour of this unit. Again this is my way of production and comments and sugestions are welcome. Transfering the plastic is a pain and ideas in this area are very welcome. Frank

Looks good Frank thanks for the video, question I see you didn't top off the sprues at all do have any issues with that on any of you molds? I have a 2 cavity 3" curly tail grub and its seems that the top runner for the top bait sucks in allot of plastic to the point if not topped off the tip of the top bait has a hollow. Oh and I'm hand injecting.

Edited by mrbilky

That in my opinion is a design issue. If the sprue was longer you would not need to do that. Hand pouring it is ok but injecting it can be a pain. If I had an issue like that I would design a longer adapter to avoid that. Frank

Pricing is a lot better. I would have to inquire about the mixing process, as in, Is that the mixer on top that he turns?

Also, how does this press handle salt rich plastisol?

Once Bob copies it, he can tells us!!!! :D

Jim

Looks like mixing paddles attached to the Top handle.

Also looks like it has an air pressure line, like a pressure pot.

I think when I get one I will support the guy that put in all the hard work to design it.

Kind of like buying American instead of an overseas copy.

Regards

Mark

Looks good Frank thanks for the video, question I see you didn't top off the sprues at all do have any issues with that on any of you molds? I have a 2 cavity 3" curly tail grub and its seems that the top runner for the top bait sucks in allot of plastic to the point if not topped off the tip of the top bait has a hollow. Oh and I'm hand injecting.

I ran into that on a custom mold I did recently and could not figure it out, but then I started being more carfull with my stirring so that bubbles rise and go to the outside. I also quit shooting my excess plastic back into the cup or pot as that introduces massive bubbles that I then have to stir back out. Its not 100% on all molds, but its 100% better than it was. I also changed my design so that more of my small stuff and small detail stuff injects from the bottom and vents to the top. (not practical if you are not making your own molds) and that helped a lot too. It takes a slightly large plate for the same mold, but if they come out better its worth it.

Edited by Bob La Londe

Thanks Frank, looks good!!!

How hard is it to get all the plastic out of it, if you want to change colors without letting it cool down? Is the temp prop measuring the plastic or the temp of the unit? Last question how hard is it to clean?

To get all the plastic out just put a cup below and open it up. The temp is pretty much at the nozzle. To clean it I use a rod blank and move it around the rim and it picks up like a cotton candy machine. Frank