rjmarlowe

First Attempt At Craw Pattern

Here is a look at my first completed Craw Pattern. I screwed up a few times but I think this one is at least fishable. It only has one coat of clear on it so it's not done but I wanted to get some initial feedback. Let me know what I can do better or different to make this pattern work. Thanks.craw top.JPGcraw bottom.JPGcraw.JPG

craw top.JPG

craw bottom.JPG

craw.JPG

craw top.JPG

craw bottom.JPG

craw.JPG

craw top.JPG

craw bottom.JPG

craw.JPG

craw top.JPG

craw bottom.JPG

craw.JPG

craw top.JPG

craw bottom.JPG

craw.JPG

craw top.JPG

craw bottom.JPG

craw.JPG

craw top.JPG

craw bottom.JPG

craw.JPG

post-24965-0-58367800-1294321796_thumb.jpg

post-24965-0-67707800-1294321807_thumb.jpg

post-24965-0-75254400-1294321818_thumb.jpg

Red and black craw is a classic. If your crankbait swims well, it will get bit regardless of the pattern details. If you want to refine the pattern to get more "realism" (I hesitate to use that term with crankbaits), crawdads have a bunch of different body parts moving as they travel, so I like craw patterns that are more complex to simulate some of that movement. Personally, the only way I can get that is with a paint template.

I think it's fine the way it is. It's very well done.

I find that craw cranks, like most of the cranks out there, are "impressionist" at best.

They don't have all the legs and claws that the real craws have, and most are retrieved in a direction opposite a real craw's actual swimming direction. Think reaction lures, not dead stick representations.

My favorite prespawn crank is a square bill wiggle wort that's in a reddish craw pattern, that dives to 4' max. It doesn't have much detail, but it gets bit all the time.