siebler_custom_baits

What do you use for an overcoat?

Devcon! Costing only $2.00 It just can't be beat. I liked it well enough to build a drying wheel for it. Make sure not to get the 5 minute. We have very high humidity down here and my powder coating is not always smooth but now it does not matter because the Devcon will fill in and smooth out the rough areas. I also played around with adding glitter and coloring to it today. It opens up a world of possibilities. To give you an idea, take a look at Celticav?s spinner bait. It has a Devcon finish.

Walmart or a hardware store. It is called "Devcon two-ton epoxy". Make sure you mix equal portions and stir till you get a milk like consistancy. Start out with dime size drops until you see how far it goes and how quick it becomes to tacky to brush on. Hope this helps and there is a ton of info on this subject.

Tally

NO. It does not leave brush marks. Just make sure you do not put it on real heavy. If you do not have a drying wheel, hang the bait where the head is up and the hook is down. Until the epoxy sets up it will run down. Also, make sure the mix is 50/50. If not the bait will not dry smooth and be tacky. Once you put it on, let it sit over night. Some say more and some say less time. Usually 12-14 hours will work. You really should make yourself a drying wheel. There are a lot of different ones on this site to get examples from. Will cost you less than $20.00 for a simple one and easy to make. You only need to spin on the wheel for approx 20 minutes and then sit overnight. One more thing, make sure you use devcon at room temperature. Cold effects the process.

Tally

OOPS!! sorry about that, I was thinking spinner bait. In the case of the jig, just make sure you don't put it on heavy and brush the excess off. The only option you have if you don't have a wheel is to hang it by the hook, head down. You better do one or two at a time to see how it turns out. If you have too much epoxy on the head it will run and form a big glob at the lowest point hanging. Do yourself a favor and make a drying wheel. You will be glad you did if you are going to use devcon. Your baits will come out perfect without the worry of the "glob".

Markell may be just covering the eyes and not the whole bait, but he said that he has a wheel also. Hopefully he will chime in to this discussion.

Tally

Without a drying wheel I would use paper clips to hang it by the hook eye. I do not put Devcon on the eye of the hook. You will have a time getting it out of the eye if it fills in. By hanging it this way the Devcon will move away from the eye. Like Tally said, don't do too many at a time untill you gain some confidence with it. I found alot of Devcon info in the hard baits section of this site.