Dirty Hooker

Step By Step Painting Tips Needed

Hey guys im new to this site but everytime i have googled my questions i see this site bringing up answers but im still having a tough time finding other answers and want a break down on what some of yall do that is different. I was using a rattle can of spar varnish as the first thing on my bait. Next went on 2 coats of plain old rattle can white primer from home depot. Next i have been using a laquer paint wich is the only thing other than acrylic paint for my badger airbrush gun that my local hobby shop carries. I hang them in a box over night sometimes all the following next day over top of one of my heater vents to help dry it. Last i spray 2 coats of laquer clear on the bait letting each coat dry before applying the next and to no prevail. I am still able to push down with my thumbnail and remove paint all the way down to primer and if i were to push real hard im able to leave fingerprints in the clear.

Now, what i want to know is am i using the wrong kind of paint? This paint is meant for plastic model cars i believe but its not working for me. Could i be using to thick of paint? If anyone wouldnt mind telling me what; name brand, kind, mixing ratios, everything to the T that yall do that im not doing right would be most appreciative.

So far im understanding using a Zinnser oil base stain first then a white primer then createx water base paint but not sure what clear to use and want a lot more detail on the preping sealing priming painting and final clear coating.

One last thing is any feedback on a badger 150 spray gun, am i able to get good paint jobs using that gun because the 4 baits i have completed i have small droplets where i faded the back color into the sides almost like the gun sneezes on the side of it.

Thanks for any feedback and assistance. Any info you guys can give me as to where i can find the materials yall use will be helpfull too. Thanks again.

DH, you have a coating incompatibility. Except through trial and error, it's very hard to fix if you use a random mix of solvent based coatings. Manufacturers use different solvents and not all of them are compatible, nor are many of them designed to be layered over one another. To simplify painting, I avoid solvent based coatings whenever possible. Where you use an auto primer, I use a coat of 30 minute epoxy on raw wood baits - which is relatively inert when it has cured. Sand it up to give your paint some tooth, then shoot your colors. Then topcoat the bait with a solvent based clear or with another coat of slow cure epoxy (Devcon Two Ton, Envirotex Lite, Flexcoat, Nu Lustre 55 are examples). If you use lacquer or polyurethane for a topcoat, it will have nothing to react with if there are no solvent based coating under it.

So use all waterproof paints and epoxy is fine for a sealer/base coat no priming really neccessary? I dont mean to come off an idiot but i have no clue and have wasted bout 55 bucks already in paints and lots of time on carving plugs that have goten water in them and swelled up and split the paint. Any more helpfull tips? Thanks alot.

So use all waterproof paints and epoxy is fine for a sealer/base coat no priming really neccessary? I dont mean to come off an idiot but i have no clue and have wasted bout 55 bucks already in paints and lots of time on carving plugs that have goten water in them and swelled up and split the paint. Any more helpfull tips? Thanks alot.

What Bob is saying is get rid of the varnish and don't use rattle can white as a primer. Use Devcon 2 ton in place of the varnish.

So just carve and sand then cover with 2 ton epoxy then paint with waterbase createx paint and i should be good? Then cover again with epoxy for a top coat? I know im coming off a dumbass but yall have done this and a little help on this subject is definatly what i need cuz i havent a clue. Thanks again.

So just carve and sand then cover with 2 ton epoxy then paint with waterbase createx paint and i should be good? Then cover again with epoxy for a top coat? I know im coming off a dumbass but yall have done this and a little help on this subject is definatly what i need cuz i havent a clue. Thanks again.

I think that is what most people do,

1.carve and sand

2. seal with an epoxy

3. paint with white createx (might have to heat set between colors, so that they wont bleed)

4. paint your patterns

5. topcoat with the epoxy

Hope this helps,

feel free to pm me, I'm no expert, but will try to help.

Todd