allstate48

Stencils

Hey Allstate, you can use anything to make a stencil, including paper! One of the quickest and easist things to use to make a stencil is using the cardboard paper from the hanging file holders, or go to the Crafts Store and buy some Press Board. I actually got the idea sitting at my work table. I had a packaged lure sitting on my table with a hole punch through the cardboard paper. You know the kind that hangs in the Tackle Shops on the peg board hooks. It isnt thick like cardboard and it isnt as thin as paper. But with the hole punch hole in it... I thought wow that would be a perfect shape to airbrush a black dot on my lures.... it was perfect. I then took my Ex-acto blade and cut a 1/4 moon C shape on it and used that for a gill plate. I painted that red.. It is so easy to cut with an Ex-acto blade. Again I didnt make anything difficult, I kept it easy and simple. I think with a little practice you can be pretty darn good at making stencils like that. When You airbrush it on, you just hold it by hand where you want it go, shoot your color through it. Move your stencil to the other side... and reverse it of course, Make sure the color on the stencil dried a little cause it could bleed onto your lure, or cause a streak if it touches the lure. Shoot through the stencil with your color there as well. At first, dont get complicated with your designs, follow the KISS rule, Keep It Simple Stupid! ( for you politcally correct folks... I dont mean to call anybody stupid! thats just the saying!) When you get it going good.. then try something a little more complicated if need be. But for the most parts I see stencils on store bought lures that are really basic, simple and easy. The first time I used a stencil it was way to complicated to try for my beginning status. It discouraged me, and I almost gave it up. But since I came up with the idea of the Press board, it has taken a complete 180 degree turn. Its unbelievable how just a small line or shape of color can mean a lot to the lure. The only other alternative to the press board that I have in mind next to try is to use a sheet of acetate or see through heavy plastic. That way I can actually visualize the stencils placement and where it actually will be on the lure. That stuff is also easy to cut with an Ex-acto knife. Hope that helps! Cody

Hey Nova, the Painters tape sounds like a GREAT idea! I have used some Airbrush Frisket film in the past. Its IMHO the same principle and idea. I bought this at an Arts and Crafts Store that also has Airbrush Materials. It is a little costly however! I posted on this before here at Tu. The company who makes this product is Badger. I really like the fact that it is a SEE through product, so if you have a design to copy off of, you can easily trace it with your ex-acto knife. , Meaning you can precisely put the stencil where you want to place it on the lure. A problem is that you must cut one side, then cut the other side. It cant be utilized both ways... it can but without the tackiness part on one side. But once you spray paint on the tacky side... its trash after that. The other problem with this is that you have to be real careful with the itricate details on your stencils. Granted it is sticky on the one side but it can blow off easy with your airbrush. It is also a very flimsy material. IMHO the idea I mentioned above works real well for me. AND you can find items made of press board ANYWHERE, so the cost is FREE! Now I have a photographer friend who has his own studio. He runs through his film and printing processors an acetate film material to make sure his rollers arent scratching the film going through the machine. Its like an 11 X 14 sheet of acetate film! I have him saving me a few to use for the stencils. Its a GREAT CHEAP material to use for a stencil. And you cant beat free since he is only gonna throw it into the trash! So check with a local Photo Lab that makes enlargements for their blank acetate film! Hope that helps! Cody