orionn1

Painting With Holograpic Giltter

You can use dry flakes a couple of ways. Mix it into some clear acrylic airbrush paint and paint it on with a brush (the flakes are often too large to shoot thru an airbrush), then clearcoat the bait as usual. Or you can stir it into your clearcoat (epoxy or whatever) and paint it all over the lure. If the flakes are large, some of them may not lay down flat and can stick through a thin clearcoat. I use cheap hobby flake paint that comes ready-mixed in a water based acrylic base. Around $2 at craft/hobby stores. I thin it a little with water and paint it onto the lure with a soft brush. That way, I can control the density of the flakes and get them only where I want them on the lure.

try mixing it with parma fasclear I use it for all of my glitter applications you could also mix it into your epoxy topcoat if you wanted

I was thinking about trying some and mixing it into createx gloss coat then topcoating as usual. I think it should work fine dont you ABExtreme? and what size tip can you spray it from?

The pearls you show are .004 in size and will shoot thru most airbrushes.....Anything with a larger .3 tip or larger should work fine....I've used their pearls several times and they spray fine thru my Iwata Eclipse, Peak X5, and my Paasche with a #3 tip.....A litte powdered pearl can go along way, so you'll have to play with it to see what effects you get.

I want to paint with the following holographic glitter http://www.paintwithpearl.com/flakestore.htm

I guess I have to mix with a clear coat. Any suggestion on the clear coat paint to use? And then I would have to cover with d2t right?

I shoot folk art extreme glitter through my brush with ease. I like the silver best.

http://paintmeplaid.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/eg.jpg

21xdc,

I take you don't have to thin the Folk Art down. What type of AB are you shooting the Folk Art thru ?

I do thin it with water windex and or acrylic future floor finish. I use this airbrush. http://www.harborfreight.com/deluxe-airbrush-kit-95810.html

My baits

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e102/21xdc/schoolofpupkinseeds003.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e102/21xdc/schoolofpupkinseeds002.jpg

I used to do that, But I hate glitter over my eyes... This solved that and also have a smoother finish as the glitter is under the clear. Just say'in.

Plus you can just add glitter on top, or just sides or two different color glitter in different places on the bait before you clear... Opens up more possibilities.

The cleanest way I've found is to spray the clear on the lure and while it's still wet, dust it with a shot from a powder coating airbrush filled with your favorite glitter/prism's/pearls. The goodies only stick to the wet clearcoat and can get covered with subsequent coats for a more 3D effect.

21xdc,

I stopped by a craft store today and looked for some of the Folk Art Extreme Glitter. I noticed that instead of clear it is a 'milky' white color. I'm guessing that when applied it dries clear?

Also, like those baits ... is that a light blue body with a bass green top?

21xdc,

I stopped by a craft store today and looked for some of the Folk Art Extreme Glitter. I noticed that instead of clear it is a 'milky' white color. I'm guessing that when applied it dries clear?

Also, like those baits ... is that a light blue body with a bass green top?

Yes, the glitter base is like elmers glue and dries clear. Thanks for the compliment on my baits. Thats light blue base, pure orange through a stencil, metallic black eyes and back and lt orange belly. Silver glitter and D2T clear.

Have always added it to a layer of clear (Flexcoat) then shot/dotted the eyes, gills, etc on that layer. Follow it with another layer of FC and you get nice shiny glitter.

I just hand sprinkle if I want a particular color in a particular area of a bait. Never convinced I was able to completely clean it out of my brush. Also kind of like standing beside Tinkerbell after she had a bean supper...Poof!

I have used this holographic glitter before from the same site. It works quite well, very similar to the alsa prizma coat. It works the same way, if you spray in very thin "dusting" layers you get a very distinctive rainbow effect. If you spray it on too thick the flakes do not lay flat on the surface. You still see all the colors but will distort the rainbow reflection it gives off. I sprayed it with a .2mm tip with no problems, just need to thin your clear out a bit.