pondfisherman

Airbrush

There are lots of good airbrushes. I've used Paasche, Badger and Iwata and they are all dependable. Some guys go the Chinese route with Master, etc brushes and like them too. No harm, no foul but IMO the Iwatas are tops in terms of precision and build quality. I have a HP-B Plus with .2mm tip and a Revolution BR with .3mm tip. If I were only going to have one brush, the Revolution BR would probably be it. It can do most crankbait painting tasks well with its .3mm tip and as a bonus, it's the cheapest brush in the Iwata lineup (cost around $70 but it has the same quality as other Iwatas). The Eclipse model is another popular Iwata. I think those have larger (?.35mm to .5mm?) tips. BTW, a change from .3 to .35mm seems minimal but it shoots about 1/3 more paint, if you do the math, and that's significant. Domestic brands like Paasche and Badger don't specify their tip diameters, so you can't easily compare them. Considering that all brushes have needles moving in/out of the tip, and those needles have different tapers, I'm not even sure tip size is critical except in the "wide open trigger" position, which we seldom if ever use. Paasche and Badger are often sold as a set with 3 different tips (small, medium, large), while Iwata tips cannot usually be changed out for different sizes.

All the blather about this versus that airbrush aside, you will find that good airbrushing is not really about the cost or the specs of a particular airbrush - it's mostly about the user becoming familiar with his airbrush and learning the skills needed to do the paint effects he wants. That takes experience and practice. Better equipment makes it a little easier - but only a little.

i use the master g 44 for most all my painting but im a beginner and i agree with bobp you have to just go paint to learn the gun. Im getting better aquaited[ with my gun everyday. the g44 has a 2mm tip will do fine lines with lots of practice and learning what air pressure. I bought this as a starter gun for the price. Does real fine job but again I havent used anything else.quote name=pondfisherman' timestamp='1294877649' post='158811]

whats your favriot airbrush you have and please write why you like.

I have a Paache VL (made in USA) with 3 needle and nozzle sizes I bought long ago. I also have an Iwata HP-CS (Japanese) with two needle and nozzle sizes. And for the third airbrush I have a Harder& Steenbeck (German made). I can get them to all work the same though the Iwata and Harder have a better trigger feel for me. Note for me. For someone else may have different experience. Since they are all gravity feed I will use all three to shoot mulitple colors.

What BobP says at the end of his post is right on. Besides the brush your experience with any brush will be determined by what type of paint you use, how it is thinned and the air pressure setting for the paint and needle combination. Sorry there is no magic or silver bullet to airbrushing. It takes practice. I'm still practicing.

I would say lean for a brush readily available to you in the $70 to $120 range. These will likely be more reliable and dependable than a cheap knockoff. A cheep knockoff may blow alot of paint but if your wanting fine details it may not cut it. Also you may want to get parts later on in case the needle gets damaged, or o-rings get damaged by solvent cleaning ( if the brush uses O rings.) So if you can buy local the shop may also have the parts for the brand they carry. I live in a big city and have several businesses and airbrush supply houses to handle what I need. You also have online ordering but I suspect you've looked there already. Look at Michaels and Hobby Lobby as they will run 25% and 40% offf coupon every now and then. I got the Iwata using the 40% off and save some money.

Just my thoughts and opinions. Others probably have different opinions. Kind of like cars brands. Everyone has their personal favorite. And what works for them works.

I have an Iwata Revolution BR and I have not found too much stuff that I can't do with this airbrush. It is very good quality and I have never had a problem with it gumming up or anything. I just clean it after every nights use and it has worked great for the 5 months that I have had it. My suggestion is to get this one to start out and then maybe get one with a smaller tip if you find that you can't do as much detail as you want on some baits.