spinnerbayt

Circuit Board Lips And Muskie Baits

I've been hanging around for a while but have never posted. Now I could use your collective knowledge to help me figure this out. I've been making baits for a while with no major issues and with the last couple batches I thought I would try the circuit board lips. I didn't change anything within the body of the bait but went from lexan lips to the circuit board and they tend to blow out really easy now. Look great on a slow retrieve but kick it up to a moderate retrieve and they just roll out to the side. Could this possibly be corrected by changing the ballast weight or is it because of the thinness of the circuit board thats making it unstable? Its just really hard to do a lot of testing right now with all the snow, wind, and ice.

Here is a pic of one of the baits.

0112010958.jpg

I think circuit board is a little lighter than polycarbonate of the same thickness and imparts a little faster dive and more thump - but don't see why it would cause the bait to blow out, per se. On the other hand, any little thing you do to a bait changes its dynamics so I can see how a bait that has a good "edgy" action might be pushed over the edge by sharpening the action even a little bit. I'd carefully measure the exposed lip length/width/angle of the 2 baits to see if there might be a subtle difference. Trimming the lip slightly may tune down the action enough to bring it back to "acceptable" - but I rarely have much luck modifying installed lips.

I think circuit board is a little lighter than polycarbonate of the same thickness and imparts a little faster dive and more thump - but don't see why it would cause the bait to blow out, per se. On the other hand, any little thing you do to a bait changes its dynamics so I can see how a bait that has a good "edgy" action might be pushed over the edge by sharpening the action even a little bit. I'd carefully measure the exposed lip length/width/angle of the 2 baits to see if there might be a subtle difference. Trimming the lip slightly may tune down the action enough to bring it back to "acceptable" - but I rarely have much luck modifying installed lips.

I don't think trimming the lip will make any difference. I did take a couple and change the location of the ballast weights to see if that has any affect on the action. I'll report back after a trip to the river. Thanks for the advice.