shaners

Airbrush Clogging

Clogs are inevitable but should be rare if you thin your paint and clean your brush properly. Createx is made to be thinned, so you should! After every color, I blast the cup clean with water from a spray bottle, shoot some water, then backwash: fill the cup with water and hold a finger over the tip while triggering the brush. It's surprising how much paint is blown back into the cup when you backwash. Keep cleaning until the cup is clear when you backwash. Disassemble the brush after every session to clean the needle and tip parts (I use a Q-tip with acetone). At some interval, when the mood grabs you, disassemble the brush and soak it overnight in an airbrush cleaning solution. That will dissolve any dried deposits that escaped your daily routine. Put a drop of light oil in the trigger assembly and wipe a little on the needle when you reassemble the brush.

If you clean your brush thoroughly and thin your paint but still have frequent clogs and spray pattern problems, check to see that the spray nozzle on your Revolution hasn't been split or the needle tip bent. Airbrushes are very simple machines. There are only a few things that can go wrong with them and 99% of those are caused by us, the users.

Wow! Thanks Bob...BEST POST OF YEAR in my opinion.. its been a while since I saw something new here on TU..normally all we have to read is clear coat CRAP that has been talked about OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN!!! Very interesting stuff.

Does it take the paint longer to flash off using the Floor Polish.. Guess I will just have to try it and see how it does..

Back on Topic.. I take a glass canning jar and fill some lacquer thinner about 2/3 up..then I take my needle out and dip it in the jar then wipe.. then put my airbrush in thinner for about 5 to 10 seconds.. then put needle back in brush without putting the screw that holds the needle in the brush back on.. then I dip the brush in the jar and fill the paint cup up with thinner..once its full pull the gun out of the jar again and hold it over the jar and let the thinner drip out as you slowly move the needle back and forth.. back and forth.. back and forth.. the back and forth motion should come natural to you if your 18 to 34 and single.. if your married and over 35 you might just say I would rather watch Sportscenter tonight than go upstairs and move back and forth with my needle... if your over 50 your just glad you can move...if your over 65...your just glad someone else is willing.. if your over 75 your scared this motion could kill you...... once you start moving your needle in and out you should start to see alot dried up paint dropping out into the jar.. you will be suprized to see how much stuff you get out of your gun if you havent clean out your equipment in a long time. 8O

get a bottle of cheap windex...everytime you change colors use that instead of water too shoot through,,,works slick...just shoot some in the cup and spray it out, you will be amazed at how good it cleans it

There is a lot of debate as to the amonia in window cleaner. Half of the AB community says it eats chrome and such and the other half says it doesnt. Do a search on any AB forum and it comes right up.

It does work good as a cleaner and reducer though I have to admit. But after using it with my Paasche talon alot it now shows a brassy color all around in the bowl and I attribute that to the amonia. I have since stopped using it. Now I use simple green or Rookie mentioned in a post awhile back that purple power works good. You can also find amonia free window cleaner in most automotive stores as amonia damages vinyl and suck in cars.

There is a good reducer that you can make

12oz distilled water

4oz denatured alchy

4oz amonia free window cleaner

8-10 drops glycerine

This may have been cover in the youtube vid from BobP but I cant log on to that at work so you got my 2cents.

Edited by LKN4DDB

Ive got a PEAK X3 siphon type and this weekend it started blowing air back into the paint bottle, its still blowing out the tip but blowing bubbles in the bottle and wont spray :( ive cleaned it soaked it and it still want spray just wantes to blow air out the tip and back in the bottle.:unsure:

Thanks for all of the tips on keeping an air brush working. I found out that what I was experiencing wasn't so much clogging as it was tip dry. I have since started thinning per youtube video, and everything is working much better. Although pearls are still giving me fits. I have came to the conclusion I will need to purchase a brush with a .5mm tip.

Does this sound correct or is there another way for me to use pearls through a .3mm tip brush?

I can't thank you guys enough for you help.

Ive got a PEAK X3 siphon type and this weekend it started blowing air back into the paint bottle, its still blowing out the tip but blowing bubbles in the bottle and wont spray :( ive cleaned it soaked it and it still want spray just wantes to blow air out the tip and back in the bottle.:unsure:

Then your missing something......The only way bubbles can form in your paintcup is due to a clogged airbrush or loose parts that allow air into areas its not suppose to go.....double, and/or triple check the head assembly for leaks....Mix up a soapy solution and check for leaks under air pressure, and repair any you find.....(Note: just be cautious about the amount of force used when tightening parts that have tiny threads....parts need to be "snug" but not "torqued down" so to speak.....Use a thread sealer if needed(Teflon tape, bee's wax,)....Make really sure the head assembly and fluid tip are free of any dried paint or debri left from previous cleanings.....I've had bits of paper towels and cotton from Q-tips end up inside the head assembly and caused problems.

I've got a Peak X3 and while its not exactly a top of the line model it should perform pretty good for lure painting.....check out the X5 or the C5 next time and I think you'll find them to be a step up in quality over the X3.....Plus, you'll like the chrome finish over the black powdercoated one...at least I do, but I have an airbrush in my hands ALOT, so the way it feels is a big deal at the end of the day...lol.

If you brush has teflon seals, so it can shoot solvent based paints, try taking it apart and soak the nozzle parts and gun overnight in acetone. The tiny air holes in the nozzle can get clogged and you won't be able to see it, because it's way back into the tiny holes.

When you reassemble the brush, fill the bowl with clean acetone, back flush several times, and then shoot some fresh acetone through it. Last step is to shoot some water through the brush, and back flush with water, to get all the acetone out. A drop of airbrush lube on the needle, and you're good to go.

Try and develop a thorough cleaning routine for each time you change colors and finish painting, and it should only take a minute to keep your brush clean and painting well.

Wow! Thanks Bob...BEST POST OF YEAR in my opinion.. its been a while since I saw something new here on TU..normally all we have to read is clear coat CRAP that has been talked about OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN!!! Very interesting stuff.

Does it take the paint longer to flash off using the Floor Polish.. Guess I will just have to try it and see how it does..

Back on Topic.. I take a glass canning jar and fill some lacquer thinner about 2/3 up..then I take my needle out and dip it in the jar then wipe.. then put my airbrush in thinner for about 5 to 10 seconds.. then put needle back in brush without putting the screw that holds the needle in the brush back on.. then I dip the brush in the jar and fill the paint cup up with thinner..once its full pull the gun out of the jar again and hold it over the jar and let the thinner drip out as you slowly move the needle back and forth.. back and forth.. back and forth.. the back and forth motion should come natural to you if your 18 to 34 and single.. if your married and over 35 you might just say I would rather watch Sportscenter tonight than go upstairs and move back and forth with my needle... if your over 50 your just glad you can move...if your over 65...your just glad someone else is willing.. if your over 75 your scared this motion could kill you...... once you start moving your needle in and out you should start to see alot dried up paint dropping out into the jar.. you will be suprized to see how much stuff you get out of your gun if you havent clean out your equipment in a long time. 8O

Now that is funny! Best post on the net I've seen in a while.

Floor polish - Tried it and the water flashes out of the paint just as fast as normal. There has been a change in the labeling on the product from what is shown in the YouTube video: Now it's labeled:

PLEDGE

Floor Care

Tile & Vinyl floor

FINISH with Future.

Clear plastic bottle, blue squeeze top, white/yellow/blue label

Pledge finish comes in 2 types, one for vinyl and one for wood. The vinyl finish is crystal clear. You want that one. The wood finish is amber. I think the stuff increases the hardness of dried Createx paint. Also, the instructions say to use ammonia to remove it from floors. So it probably isn't a good idea to use it in a mix with Windex containing ammonia. It appears to be a clear, thin acrylic clearcoat but it seems to make airbrush paint flow a little better. Certainly can't argue about the price compared to airbrush-specific acrylic clears and 'flow enhancers'. Good stuff.

Now, if it only came with garlic scent instead of the "clean scent". Smells nice but can't speak for the bass! The smell is probably gone by the time you clear coat the paint, however.

Rookie,

That was freakin' hilarious. Only you could come up with something like that.

I painted a batch of lures using the Pledge, then dipped in original formula Dick Nite moisture cured polyurethane. No problems, so I think if it doesn't react badly with that topcoat, you should be safe using it with just about anything! I would say the Pledge finish is more a "flow enhancer" than a "reducer". It doesn't thin paint down to where I would use it for detail shots, so you need to add water like the YouTube video indicates.

Another thing: Pledge dries to a hard acrylic coating. So when mixed, it makes a paint dry harder than before. Maybe that's good, maybe not. I cleaned my airbrush with water per normal and set it aside. The next day when I disassembled the brush, the needle was glued in the barrel's packing where paint tends to accumulate, and it required forceful removal. Not a problem if you clean your airbrush thoroughly immediately after use, as you should. But if you are lazy about it, the Pledge may compound any problems you have with dried paint inside your airbrush.

Now that was funny as Hell !!:D:D Rookie, You will have to do a tutorial on polishing a needle next !!

Edited by Big Bass Man

Now you did it..

Doc was telling me last week that I should NOT exercise to much to get heart to go boom..

Now I find I have to NOT clean out the gun EVER..

The wife is going to have to be notified when the time comes but will not understand why, oh why, I have this want to buy a case of pledge..

Another tact that will eliminate the source of clogs:

Filter your Createx, and shake it well before using! More than one person has been amazed to learn to learn that a small patch of pantyhose placed under the top of your Createx bottle virtually eliminates clogging problems. I can spray unthinned pearls at 20 psi with my gravity-fed Iwata Eclipse HP-BS with no problems. I literally cannot remember the last time a clog stopped me from spraying.

I use Createx, and I almost never thin it, and I never thin an entire bottle. Only when I'm spraying at extreme low pressures (!0-15psi) to freehand very small details do I thin it with a little distilled water and/or extender. I haven't tried the floor polish.

Rookie!

You'll find that if you keep your needle at home, and keep your cone cleaned out regularly, you'll eliminate a lot of problems. Not only that, but I'll assure you that you'll save a bunch of money in the long run, and your gun will always be ready when it is needed the most! Guys who "paint the town" on a regular basis sometimes find they're out of green when they need it,

and the red that they end up with is a poor substitute!

B)

Just on same topic (airbrush clogging).:rolleyes:

I have Master G22 after 20 minutes thinned Createx spraying the airbrush clogged and then messed up everything that I have painted before. I have tried 3 more times before giving up. Can this clogging be the result of the cheap airbrush or something else. I am using Createx AUTO colors, thinned with water and floor finish. I have cleaned the airbrush with alcohol 70%, with back and forward action. I am shooting under 20 - 10 psi with tank.

Should I change the airbrush or just practice more.... :)

Thank you..

Steve