Nathan

Dick Nites Plastic Dip

Dick sent me a sample of another product he has been working on.For the lack of a better name I'll call it DN's plastic.This stuff is semi-clear and as thick as cold syrup.This stuff can be thinned with Acetone ONLY!!

My first thought with this stuff is it may make a great wood sealer.I thinned it down considerably and gave a bait two dips about 15 min. apart.and hung it too dry (I did not put it on a turner)after a couple drips the acetone evaporates and it starts to set.After 24 hours and I gave it a check.It had dried perfectly clear and was extremely hard.The bait was now ready to paint.While dipping the baits I noticed the first coat penetrated the wood very well.the second coat gave the smooth surface you need to paint on.I think two dips..three max. is all you'd ever need.to prep. a wood bait for painting with this stuff.Now for you Balsa guys (My baits were made from Cedar)you may need a extra dip..I'm not sure,my experiments haven't gotten that far yet.But my first thought are this stuff maybe a great alternative to sealing your balsa with epoxy..It would definatly be lighter.

Now all that said..I'm not so sure this stuff would not make a great dipable top coat for wooden baits aswell!!! These same baits I've undercoated with it,I'll top coat with it to and let you know...

I just wanted to thank Dick for all his hard work on bringing this products too us and letting us play!!..Nathan

Dick sent me a sample of another product he has been working on.For the lack of a better name I'll call it DN's plastic.This stuff is semi-clear and as thick as cold syrup.This stuff can be thinned with Acetone ONLY!!

My first thought with this stuff is it may make a great wood sealer.I thinned it down considerably and gave a bait two dips about 15 min. apart.and hung it too dry (I did not put it on a turner)after a couple drips the acetone evaporates and it starts to set.After 24 hours and I gave it a check.It had dried perfectly clear and was extremely hard.The bait was now ready to paint.While dipping the baits I noticed the first coat penetrated the wood very well.the second coat gave the smooth surface you need to paint on.I think two dips..three max. is all you'd ever need.to prep. a wood bait for painting with this stuff.Now for you Balsa guys (My baits were made from Cedar)you may need a extra dip..I'm not sure,my experiments haven't gotten that far yet.But my first thought are this stuff maybe a great alternative to sealing your balsa with epoxy..It would definatly be lighter.

Now all that said..I'm not so sure this stuff would not make a great dipable top coat for wooden baits aswell!!! These same baits I've undercoated with it,I'll top coat with it to and let you know...

I just wanted to thank Dick for all his hard work on bringing this products too us and letting us play!!..Nathan

So is this stuff different than any Dick Nite products discussed here?

If so, it is DN3. If it is a dipable top coat, it should work OK whether or not you undercoated baits with it, whether or not baits were sprayed or dipped, or even if a water based paint was used. I'm interested in your results.

Thanks.

John

I'm still in the early stages of testing...It will definatley work well for a under coat too seal the wood.The product is definatley dipable..That is how I'm applying it.As for spraying and brushing ,I'm not sure..but I THINK it could be brushed on..It appears to be a self leveling product.I'm in the process of trying it out as a top coat now....I'll keep you all updated on my experiments..Nathan

Thanks Nathan!

I know we talked about it and I'm glad you are doing some testing and reporting.

It is now available and I will send out samples to anyone who is willing to pay the shipping, if anyone else is interested. Just email me and tell me you are a TackleUnderground member.

Thanks again! Looking forward to what you find on it as a top-coat as well.

Dick

Dick Nite Spoons, Inc.

1-888-321-LURE

dicknite@dicknite.com

John,

Yep - DN3! Actually it is #S83 LPTC (Liquid Plastic Top Coat).

This stuff was designed to DIP. I tried spraying it and it gets a LOT of bubbles in it and doesn't work as well as dipping. Did not try brushing it, but that would probably work quite well, as like Nathan said, it is self-leveling.

Should work well either under OR over any type of color coat, be it water based or lacquer.

Dick

Dick Nite Spoons, Inc.

1-888-321-LURE

dicknite@dicknite.com

So is this stuff different than any Dick Nite products discussed here?

If so, it is DN3. If it is a dipable top coat, it should work OK whether or not you undercoated baits with it, whether or not baits were sprayed or dipped, or even if a water based paint was used. I'm interested in your results.

Thanks.

John