Da big tuna

Cancer Causing Plastic

Ok, So I sell some plastics. I have two old timers tell me be careful ,that stuff causes cancer. So now I'm freaked out about pouring. I pour in my basement and I use a microwave. These 2 guys poured in the 1990's and have scare the crap out of me. One said he had a tumor removed and now I think I poisoned my family as well. So can any one comment on this and ease my mind. I don't open windows where I pour but I'm not in a confined area. Any other suggestions?

Thanks John

Ok, So I sell some plastics. I have two old timers tell me be careful ,that stuff causes cancer. So now I'm freaked out about pouring. I pour in my basement and I use a microwave. These 2 guys poured in the 1990's and have scare the crap out of me. One said he had a tumor removed and now I think I poisoned my family as well. So can any one comment on this and ease my mind. I don't open windows where I pour but I'm not in a confined area. Any other suggestions?

Thanks John

You need to vent the fumes out from your basement. They are not good to breathe in they can cause some problems. I used to pour in the basement but noe i moved to the garage and vent it all out

Edited by mikolay87

Make sure you buy a good OV (organic vapour) mask with full facial coverage. Also make sure you pour in a very well ventilated area! You only get 1 body so take care of it.

I personally would never pour inside of my house. I pour is a separated garage with 2 doors and 4 4'x8' windows wide open with industrial fans. Even still I am debating giving up the hobby for fear of health problems.

I am a complete newbie but I have already noticed sinus related problems from pouring - sore throat and runny nose every night after I pour. I bought a cheap mask but looks like I am going to have to upgrade. I pour in my garage with the door open and a fan on.

The bottom line is........................if you don't take the proper precautions with ventilation and such.......YOU WILL GET SICK!

Whether it be nosebleeds, sinus problems, congestion, migraines, Emphysema, whatever

Am I trying to scare anybody? Yep, sure am. You need to take the proper precautions. I didn't and now wish I did. If you're coughing up a bunch of crap, and/or getting congestion, don't dismiss it as something else. Either stop pouring for two weeks and/or get the proper ventilation and see if it goes away. Keep pouring and ignore the symptoms...........it's on you. You keep breathing those fumes you will get sick. There are plenty of good threads about ventilation systems/masks , etc. Just use the search engine.

I am a complete newbie but I have already noticed sinus related problems from pouring - sore throat and runny nose every night after I pour. I bought a cheap mask but looks like I am going to have to upgrade. I pour in my garage with the door open and a fan on.

Are you getting your plastic to hot? If its smoking and has a really bad smell to it you might have it to hot. That happned to me a few times when I started out. What I do now is have a 20 inch box fan in the window of my shop. My pots are close enough to the window to draw out the fumes and smoke. You don't want to get them to close so it sucks out all the heat. After I did that all the sinus and sore throats went away.

Seeing as everything is hot and rising, an overhead hood would be my solution. Driven by a squirrel cage fan, 6" flex pipe to vent the fumes outside. The hood sides would be long on three sides, to collect the fumes and draw air from the fourth side, where you are standing.

Dave

When I started pouring 22 years ago I poured only once in the basement. My wife came downstairs and told me either the pouring goes or I go. Well; I'm still here and I pour in my garage.

Dave I use a hooded fan with venting to the outside for short pouring times and I use a full face respirator and the fan when I'm out there for hours.

Play safe; don't be cheap with your health.

www.novalures.com

When I started pouring 22 years ago I poured only once in the basement. My wife came downstairs and told me either the pouring goes or I go. Well; I'm still here and I pour in my garage.

Dave I use a hooded fan with venting to the outside for short pouring times and I use a full face respirator and the fan when I'm out there for hours.

Play safe; don't be cheap with your health.

www.novalures.com

Can you point me in direction for the face masks? The weird thing is I don't smell a thing.

painting and plastic fumes are a little different.... its not particles its fumes u are trying to get rid of... u can get these masks at home depot lowes etc... they are about 30 bucks and $15 or so to replace the cartridges. Just go there and ask for respirators and youll see them

painting and plastic fumes are a little different.... its not particles its fumes u are trying to get rid of... u can get these masks at home depot lowes etc... they are about 30 bucks and $15 or so to replace the cartridges. Just go there and ask for respirators and youll see them

actually they are quite similar, and the masks they use are some of the best. remember, its not just dust particles they contend with, its also paint, catalyst and thinner vapours that they have to deal with.

talk to your brother and get him to get you a mask and cartridges and tell you how to store them. he can probably get you the cartridges cheaper as well.

With proper ventilation/fume hood no respirator is needed. Hands down proper ventilation is the proper way to avoid problems.

Respirator use is not the best option for various reasons. Proper fit testing, lung function under the strain, allegeric reactions, etc.. are all of concern. If using a respirator you need to be sure to follow manufactuers recommendations. If you have any breathing or heart problems you shouldn't use one until getting tested. Cartridges don't last for ever. Our work practice is discard after 1 month of opening the cartridge or after ~8 hours of use (we use hoods and respirators are for limited applications or secondary safety feature). Wear one if you would like but ventilation to an outside source is really the key.

1,000 CFM fan and pipe it outside.... Right over your work area and you are set. I agree with Travis on this. If you do not have a proper fit test and/or ingore the mask change outs, you are giving yourself a false sense of security. Fit testing is vital or the fumes are just making their way around your mask through areas not fitted well to your face. If you have facial hair, most fit tests will fail regardless of the mask and you need to go to a PAPR situation.

Here is my solution (picture courtesy of Jason at Caney Creek Molds.)

2011-01-03%2015.53.38.jpg

Jim

1,000 CFM fan and pipe it outside.... Right over your work area and you are set. I agree with Travis on this. If you do not have a proper fit test and/or ingore the mask change outs, you are giving yourself a false sense of security. Fit testing is vital or the fumes are just making their way around your mask through areas not fitted well to your face. If you have facial hair, most fit tests will fail regardless of the mask and you need to go to a PAPR situation.

Here is my solution (picture courtesy of Jason at Caney Creek Molds.)

2011-01-03%2015.53.38.jpg

Jim

the size of the fan is determined by the size of the hood. 100 cfm per square foot.

I pour outdoors (just about as ventilated as you can get) and use a fan and still this problem has made it to where I barely pour anymore.

This stuff can be very bad for you.

Here is what is on the label of my Plastisol.

Health 1

flammability 1

reactivity o

personal protection B

Notice: Polyvinyl chlorie resin contains very low levels of vinly chloride determined to be a cancer agent.

Thanks John

Well, the two old timers could have possibly been smokers, or worked around Asbestos. Who knows? Is plastisol really dangerous? is there information written about it somewhere? what are the ingredients.....?

Well, the two old timers could have possibly been smokers, or worked around Asbestos. Who knows? Is plastisol really dangerous? is there information written about it somewhere? what are the ingredients.....?

you should be able to get a medical sheet ( there is a proper name for it ) from any place that sells plastisol.

I got one from Lure Craft last year. Took it to my doctor.. I was having a soar throat after making a lot of baits.

he did not think it was the plastisol. Now I said he did not -- think --- it was the plastisol..

did not know for poss.

I feel the scents ,,garlic,, craw ,, ect,, have worse fumes..I have not got any

med. sheets on the scents yet..

I did not pour all winter and I now feel good,

I also have a better hood vent this year..so far no soar throat..but I have

not made a whole lot of baits,,maybe 4-5 hundred so far..

different people can get a different problem from plastic,, it mite not bother some people

and then others mite be affected..

just my opinion..

Jeff

you should be able to get a medical sheet ( there is a proper name for it ) from any place that sells plastisol.

I got one from Lure Craft last year. Took it to my doctor.. I was having a soar throat after making a lot of baits.

he did not think it was the plastisol. Now I said he did not -- think --- it was the plastisol..

did not know for poss.

I feel the scents ,,garlic,, craw ,, ect,, have worse fumes..I have not got any

med. sheets on the scents yet..

I did not pour all winter and I now feel good,

I also have a better hood vent this year..so far no soar throat..but I have

not made a whole lot of baits,,maybe 4-5 hundred so far..

different people can get a different problem from plastic,, it mite not bother some people

and then others mite be affected..

just my opinion..

Jeff

MSDS is the info sheet.