Whitedog

Micarta Source?

I went on a search for micarta material to make my own lips and found that Mcmaster has it at what seems to be a decent price. My problem is that I don't know which grade or type to buy. They list various types and the prices vary considerably. I don't mind paying for what I need but there is no need for overkill. Does anyone have any knowledge they might share about which grade/type is suitable? Thanks.

McMaster-Carr carries "micarta" as GAROLITE in various versions. Any of them will work for bait lips but the cheapest is the G-10 and that is the grade most bait builders use. If you don't like its color (a dull yellow), you might consider their G-11. It is a little more expensive, a little tougher and stiffer, and is (to my mind at least) a more attractive light green color. Most commercial baits use a brand of G10 that is a slightly greenish white in and most would say the white matches a wider range of bait body colors better. But McMaster doesn't carry that last time I checked. Their product descriptions include the colors. I used to order white G10 from www.asp-rocketry.com but hear they changed brands and may not have white G10 any more. Unless some industrious TU'er decides to start buying commercial size (4'x8') sheets of white G10 and cutting it up for resale to other hobbyists, it's gonna be hard to find the white stuff, except as pre-cut lips sold by some of the tackle shops like Janns Netcraft, etc.

Just googled for Micarta, and I was amazed about the assortment one site has to offer - colors, sizes, thicknesses

http://www.alphaknifesupply.com/micarta.htm

Alright now Rofish!! You're right, that is a great selection but you've given me too many options and confused me. I can't decide which color which means I will probably have to order several and spend too much money.

Edited by Whitedog

Alright now Rofish!! You're right, that is a great selection but you've given me too many options and confused me. I can't decide which color which means I will probably have to order several and spend too much money.

You've got to start thinking like big corporations do. Offshore bank accounts, hidden checkbooks, etc. Anything to keep wifey from finding out EXACTLY how much money your spending on bait building. :yes:

Edited by RayburnGuy

You've got to start thinking like big corporations do. Offshore bank accounts, hidden checkbooks, etc. Anything to keep wifey from finding out EXACTLY how much money your spending on bait building. :yes:

LOL!! Wifey says I have run through two fortunes fishing and I'm now working on a third. I guess one look at my barn/boat shed and I can' deny it.