Jeff Jaras

Help With My Topcoat

I just went out and got some EnviroTex Lite. I was going to brush it on and let it hang dry, would this work? I saw that alot of people use Devcon Epoxy but when I looked it up it was very expensive. Will the Etex work just as good? I'm not using any Epoxy on the undercoat just primer paint and then the topcoat and I haven't even done the topcoat yet... As you can probably tell I am fairly new to this. I just found TU and I'm on here a lot now, all I want to do is make baits :D . I just need is a little help...

Here's what my baits look like...

DSCN3100.JPG

DSCN3098.JPG

DSCN3100.JPG

DSCN3098.JPG

DSCN3100.JPG

DSCN3098.JPG

DSCN3100.JPG

DSCN3098.JPG

DSCN3100.JPG

DSCN3098.JPG

DSCN3100.JPG

DSCN3098.JPG

DSCN3100.JPG

DSCN3098.JPG

DSCN3100.JPG

DSCN3098.JPG

post-25401-0-02013100-1295641725_thumb.jpg

post-25401-0-61326800-1295641849_thumb.jpg

Hi Jeff,

I haven't tried all epoxies but I have tried D2T and Etex. I like Etex better even though it takes longer to cure. You can get by flipping D2T for awhile and then let the lure hang to dry. It sets up in about 30 minutes and can be handled in 2 hrs or so. Full cure in around 8 hrs. Etex takes longer to set up so I wouldn't recommend hanging the lure because the Etex will run. You will need to build a drying wheel to rotate your lure. Etex can take up to 8 hrs or sometimes longer to set where you can handle it. Full cure is around 72 hrs depending on temperature. You will also need to put on 3-5 coats. I tried D2T and didn't care for it as topcoat. It is a glue epoxy and it is brittle so it didn't hold up well to musky and pike teeth. It sounds like alot of guys that build bass lures use D2T and it seems to work for them. Etex is made to cover wood like bar tops so it is made to move with the wood. D2T is quicker but IMO Etex gives you a better finish even though it takes longer. Hope this helps.

CLM

I just went out and got some EnviroTex Lite. I was going to brush it on and let it hang dry, would this work? I saw that alot of people use Devcon Epoxy but when I looked it up it was very expensive. Will the Etex work just as good? I'm not using any Epoxy on the undercoat just primer paint and then the topcoat and I haven't even done the topcoat yet... As you can probably tell I am fairly new to this. I just found TU and I'm on here a lot now, all I want to do is make baits :D . I just need is a little help...

The baits look good, but they will look much better if you applied a seal coat to the wood before painting. This serves many purposes: it helps prevent water getting into the wood, it strengthens the wood and in your case, a seal coat with a light sanding will eliminate the wood grain, giving you a nicer looking paint job. Epoxy thinned with denatured alcohol is a popular choice.

If you let the etex coat hang, it will all run to the bottom. You will need to flip the bait regularly so that it levels out even. You will soon get bored with this. The solution is a drying wheel that slowly rotates your lure and removes the hassle. Not difficult to make.

Dave

I've used Etex on my spinner's heads successfully, however I did wait until Etex would start to set before application. For the lures top coat I have build a drying wheel.

It is very easy, get regular rotisserie something like that:

Ace Trading-Grill ACC 2 8005621 Deluxe Rotisserie 36"

Basically, if you have a motor that does around 6 rpm and a rod it should be easy. Also I have used Radio Shack alligator clams to hold the lure in place.

I agree about rotating while Etex sets up, and a home brew turner that runs 1-10 rpm for 2-4 hrs works OK. BBQ rotisseries, microwave rotation motors, small timing motors all work. It also helps to mix Etex and let it sit for 10-15 min before brushing it on the lure. In a pinch, you can rig something with an electric drill set on very slow speed as a turner. Etex takes 2-3 hrs to harden to a non-migrating state. D2T takes 45-60 mins (at room temp). It's easier to flip D2T for 30-45 min manually, and I did that on my first baits. Put a hanger in the nose and the tail, and flip the lure every minute or so until it sets up. I was willing to do that for 45 mins with D2T but not the 2-3 hrs required for Etex! You will also probably find that Etex needs at least 2 coats to get the coverage you want, while D2T is thicker and requires only one. Epoxies reach 95% hardness in about 24 hrs. Leave what's leftover in the dish and use that to test hardness, not the lure.

Thanks for all your help guys! I went on Ebay ond got a rotisserie for a good price. Just still not sure about one thing... Can I use Etex for an undercoat and thin it with denatured alcohol? If so how many coats? Or is there anything else that would work better...

Thanks again!!!!!

Edited by Jeff Jaras

Also can someone tell me a cheap place to order these products from...

I get Etex from Michaels, every Sunday there is a flyer in the local paper with a 40% off one item. Very affordable at that price. I bought a rod drying motor off ebay for $7, works great with a plywood disc and alligator clips.

Yes, you can use it as an undercoat but whether you should thin it, or if you even need to, I don't know. Etex is thin because it already contains solvent. Maybe its solvent would react badly with a "solvent to be named later'. so my inclination would be to use it "as is". The "thin epoxy for undercoating" comes from guys who use Devcon 2 Ton, which is a thicker, quicker curing epoxy.