• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Vodkaman

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts
Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:19 PM

how do you keep a smooth surface that way? I tried that and made an uneven surface.

I agree, the finish is not absolutely smooth. I used the food wrap with a few quick sweeps to spread the CA. I then coated with D2T (no sanding) and all the blemishes of the CA application were gone. A light scuffing is probably a good idea, but delamination was not a concern for my application. The thick epoxy coat covers a multitude of sins.

#22 RayburnGuy

Advanced Member

• TU Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,929 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:44 PM

I applied the super glue as stated before. Spread as evenly as possible with my finger. After the first coat was cured I sanded it smooth and applied a second coat. Again by spreading it with my finger. The second coat still wasn't perfectly smooth so I gave it a light sanding and it was good to go. The super glue is the quickest way I've found to seal a lure and doing it this way saved me all the trouble of mixing epoxy, putting the bait on a lure turner and then waiting for it to cure. This method may not be the way you are comfortable doing it. That's why everyone has their own way of doing things. If there was only one right way to do things then we would all be building lures the same way. But that's just my :twocents:

#23 Whitedog

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:47 PM

how do you keep a smooth surface that way? I tried that and made an uneven surface.

I won't speak for Mark but it sounds like your glue is either applied unevenly or, more likely, is setting up before it spreads evenly. As I said in an earlier post, I just pour mine over the bait pretty freely while turning the bait and though I may lose some I get a nice even coat. Also, some superglue or CA is thinner than others. I bought some recently at wallyworld when I ran out of the 2z bottles and it was too thick to work as a sealer and lumped. You can sand the lumps down but it is easy to get down into the balsa doing that. I will occasionally put on a coat of epoxy before painting but not usually.

As Mark stated, I usually don't do anything before painting than apply a couple of coats of glus, sanding each time til the bait is smooth then painting. Be advised that I am no expert on any of this but I have been using the superglue since I started and find it to be the best for me.

#24 mark poulson

mark poulson

Advanced Member

• TU Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,785 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:47 AM

I sand the blank smooth first, then drip on the crazy glue, usually Zap brand.
It's pretty easy to put on small amounts, and watch them run down and soak in. I usually put the tip of the glue bottle right onto the blank, and use the blank to control how much glue comes out.
If it's not smooth when I'm done, I wet sand it. After I add paint and top coat, it's smooth anyway.
I don't prime my balsa baits once I've sealed them with crazy glue. And my paint bonds just fine.
I just made a PVC lure that I wanted to fish the next day. I got it ready to paint, wet sanded it, and painted it without primer. The surface looked slightly pitted after the paint, but it's totally smooth after three dips in my urethane top coat.
I made the lure Friday, and fished it yesterday, and it worked just fine. No issues with the paint, or the top coat.
Of course, it's a two piece floater with a bill that runs down to 3', at the most, so I didn't hit any rocks with it. I did drop in on my driveway (by accident) when I was putting it in my boat, and there was not damage.
Try a test and see if you find that to be true for your baits, too.
It cut out a day in my lure making process, because I used to use rattle can primer that needed to dry/offgas overnight.
My Createx paint bonded very well to the PVC. I think heat setting it softened the PVC a little and helped it bond.