68KingFisher

Question For All You Crankbait Re-refinishers...

When repainting a customers old crankbaits, do you always remove and replace the eye's on those baits or do you cover the factory eye's with masking tape or a masking liquid, while your doing the repaint?? I just started doing a few repaints for some of my fishin buddies, and right off the bat, I feel like I need to purchase a wide assortment of 3D eye's to keep on hand......Standard eye's I can hand paint on...thats not a big deal...but the 3D eye's that alot of crankbaits have make me wonder how I should deal with those.......So I figured I'd ask you guys, " whats customary to do in this industry"??

When repainting a customers old crankbaits, do you always remove and replace the eye's on those baits or do you cover the factory eye's with masking tape or a masking liquid, while your doing the repaint?? I just started doing a few repaints for some of my fishin buddies, and right off the bat, I feel like I need to purchase a wide assortment of 3D eye's to keep on hand......Standard eye's I can hand paint on...thats not a big deal...but the 3D eye's that alot of crankbaits have make me wonder how I should deal with those.......So I figured I'd ask you guys, " whats customary to do in this industry"??

Always replace the eyes !! The sponsers on here have a nice assortment of different slyles of eyes of your choice. The baits that have no eye sockets, you can either use flat eyes or paint on new eyes.

On the more expensive Japanese baits w/3d eyes I use Parma Liquid Mask. Works great!

http://cgi.ebay.com/...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Thats good to know....I've got two gals of liquid mask that I use for automotive stuff and wondered about using it to cover the eye's....I'll have to give it a try....thanks....But it also sounds like I need to go ahead and think about putting together an assortment of eye's if i'm gonna keep painting these thangs.

Thats good to know....I've got two gals of liquid mask that I use for automotive stuff and wondered about using it to cover the eye's....I'll have to give it a try....thanks....But it also sounds like I need to go ahead and think about putting together an assortment of eye's if i'm gonna keep painting these thangs.

I always replace the eyes unless the customer specifies they want the originals