Jump to content
5 replies to this topic
Posted 12 March 2004 - 10:03 AM
I've been trying to pour some crankbaits that I have made and seem to be having trouble with the finish. I am using R-8 casting foam from Bare Metal Foil company. The results from the R-8 foam are somewhat mixed. The outer suface of the lure seems pretty nice smooth, but when I remove excess foam at the crease where the 2 molds come together there seems to be a lot of pores or voids. I've tried using devcon 2-ton epoxy to fill these voids and cover the rest of the lure, but I am on my third coat and I'm not sure this will do the trick. Could I use wood filler to fill these voids and then devcon over the lure? What do you guys think? Also I am building a drying wheel this weekend instead of turning the lure by hand. This might help with my devcon application because there seems to be some bubbling in it. Please give me some feedback, because I can't wait till I can post some pics.
Posted 12 March 2004 - 12:30 PM
I'm assuming R8 = 8 lb foam. If it is, try clogging the overflow hole . Not completly, but enough to where the foam is under more pressure inside the mold. I've notice that if the hole is too big, I get those same results.
You can use a drop of rtv or silicone to do the job.
16 lb foam isd denser and heavier but it doesn't aerarate as readily as the 8 lb. stuff.
Posted 12 March 2004 - 12:50 PM
Did you plan a spru port to allow for the foam to exit as it expands? That could be causing the large seamline you are getting. You can fill the seam with 2 part epoxy putty and then use 1 layer of devcon 2t. Epoxy putty will cure faster than woodputty.
Husky, I have to disagree with forced plugging of the spru hole.
I recommend to scrape out the spru as its porting foam or any expanding plastic.
As foam is expelled It forms a cap over the spru and will harden before the foam has fully expanded. This is what causes the lures to become fatter or have distortions. Capping or plugging your spru will force the foam further into the seamline.
Posted 12 March 2004 - 02:47 PM
I will be using these suggestions tonight and this weekend. I appreciate those who take the time to help those who are just trying this for the first time. When I first got on this website and seen what type of lures everyone was building I wasn't sure how forthcoming people would be with their secrets, but I am surprised about how much immediate feedback I got. I hope that someday I can become as accomplished as some of you.
Posted 12 March 2004 - 03:13 PM
Posted 13 March 2004 - 01:25 AM
If the advice of Art Brush does not work for you don't get discouraged, keep trying. I would suggest buying a product called Featherlite, you can get it through smoothon.com. The stuff is way easier to use in my opinion than the expanding foam and I am guessing that you would have little or no problems with it. Have fun!