dchance

Megabass 110 Knockoffs

I use the K/O 110's a good bit but they arent the real thing Iknow this

I have boxes of jerkbaits 2 of which are megabass 110's 3 boxes of larger luckycraft jerkbaits 1 box of 78'sand bevy shad 1 box of evergreen and zenith (specialty tackle) and 2 others of norman smithwick bomber xraps spro and some knockoffs these are just jerkbaits I fish for a living and I have come to realize that there is no perfect jerkbait I was schooled by a kid at lake champlain who fished a rebel spoonbill hand painted with a brush it was guady and in no way a good paintjob it goes to show you $40000 worth of jerkbaits dont mean your gonna catch fish with it ITS THE ANGLER

I see nothing wrong with buying, painting, and reselling unpainted cranks that are knockoffs of other baits if you're up front with what they are.

On Predator Bass, Jim is very clear to say "Similar to a LC RC 2.5" or to whatever the particular bait is made to simulate. I can respect that. You know what you're buying, and you have the choice to buy it or not.

As long as you're not reverse engineering a lure, and making exact copies, I don't think it's wrong, even if you're selling them.

When I first started making jointed lures, I used photos of the Triple Trout to give me a starting point. I learned about weighting, joints, and body shape through trial and error, and that has helped me make lots of other baits that work since then.

I've sent guys on this site detailed construction drawings for making baits like mine, which I do sell, and have no problem with them making their own, and selling them under their own name. I know everyone's baits are different, and no one is going to retire on the money they make selling hand made baits, so I just figure it's all good.

I asked Bill Siemantel, who had just released the BBZ 1 8" trout, for some advice on whether I was doing anything wrong, and he said, "Hell, no. We all are copying baits that were made before."

He's been involved with the development of almost every successful west coast swimbait for the last 20+ years, so I take his word for it.

To the fishermen who buy, paint and use KO baits for their personal own use I have no problem.

But if you paint KO baits and sell them using the orignal makers name as part of your advertising then I feel in my former post you get the idea what I think. Why don't you try this for an E-bay auction, "For sale is a plastic crankbait of unknown Chinese manufacture, hand painted by(insert your name here)with the finest paints and top coats known to man". You may also list the number of national tournaments it has won and the amount of money it has earned for it's owner, something that can be verified. Then I will beleive I'm dealing with an honest man.

Guys I was raised on a dairy farm, and although I do not have a BS degree (Bovine Scatology) I do know it when I see it.

I havent ever won any major tournaments on a knockoff bait I won a local open tournament on a k/o lipless bait and a DT 10 knock off but thats the only one I havent ever painted to sell on ebay I paint for some friends who tournament fish also but to paint to sell on ebay forget about it the ebay buyers only want the best paintjobs for the cheapest price and you better include hooks or somebody is gonna cry I sold some limited edition luckycraft sample/show colord a couple years ago and several buyers wanted me to send them hooks,split rings or a free bait because they didnt get hooks with them these baits were on a display ring with no hooks on them when I got them from the LC rep at a tackle show

This just in... I hear there is a new company out of china selling knockoff condoms. Called "Press your Luck"

It may or may not break.

Its almost as effective as the real thing..but a whole lot cheaper....SAVE MONEY SAVE MONEY!!! kinda reminds me of a Gieco ad.... Sure you can save 15 percent but the fact they forget to tell you is they might lower your coverages to save you this money. You still have to get 15 to 20 bucks to make money selling knockoff lures on ebay or where ever you sell them..and even if you get 15 bucks your only making 7 bucks of profit at best. PAINT FAST MY FRIENDS... PAINT FAST!!!

Edited by The_Rookie

This just in... I hear there is a new company out of china selling knockoff condoms. Called "Press your Luck"

It may or may not break.

Its almost as effective as the real thing..but a whole lot cheaper....SAVE MONEY SAVE MONEY!!! kinda reminds me of a Gieco ad.... Sure you can save 15 percent but the fact they forget to tell you is they might lower your coverages to save you this money. You still have to get 15 to 20 bucks to make money selling knockoff lures on ebay or where ever you sell them..and even if you get 15 bucks your only making 7 bucks of profit at best. PAINT FAST MY FRIENDS... PAINT FAST!!!

I don't know what knockoffs your buying but if I sold all of them for $15 bucks I would make a minimum of $11 dollars profit. So paint fast and make a little over $100 bucks selling 10 knockoffs. I think that's not to bad for half day of work.

I don't know what knockoffs your buying but if I sold all of them for $15 bucks I would make a minimum of $11 dollars profit. So paint fast and make a little over $100 bucks selling 10 knockoffs. I think that's not to bad for half day of work.

Here is one of my knockoffs..It was free didnt cost me a thing...you can bid on it right now on ebay! and Support the Victory Junction Charity. People will buy original items.

Edited by The_Rookie

Here is one of my knockoffs..It was free didnt cost me a thing...you can bid on it right now on ebay! and Support the Victory Junction Charity. People will buy original items.

What's that called, the Tree Pounder Magnet? :lol:

As I said in the first line of my post, "I see nothing wrong with buying, painting, and reselling unpainted cranks that are knockoffs of other baits if you're up front with what they are".

Anyone who can actually duplicate the original will have to go through the same building processes, incur the same costs, and have to charge just as much as the original builders, so there would be no savings in buying the knockoffs.

Cheap copies are just that, cheap copies. They work sometimes, in some situations, but are not the same as the originals.

As long as you know going in that it's a knockoff, it's you choice.

Not tryn to pick a fight here but Is it just me or dose it seem like the only true argument to the KO's with some on here is the fact that they can be bought,painted and sold cheaper then an original. And with more people doing it, it's starting to cut into others side money?

Just because its made in china and sold by a china distributer that makes it an knock off?.

So if an american company had them made in china "like most do" and then imported it it wouldnt be?

Kinda like that mercury hangin on the back of my boat yeah the box said FON-DU-LAC WI but there built in old mex, so are they an knock off?

I must be getting old, cause I can't paint 10 baits in a full day [from start to finish]. Perhaps if I was from Texas and could hire some cheap labor to base coat my "proto-type" [not knock-offs] cranks, I could get'r done.

PS: Tater has entirely too much time on his hands.....

All Rapalas are assembled in Estonia, hooks made in France.

Personally, i just purchased a few KO's. They will catch fish. I am not going to resell custom painted lures, because i think it's pretty stupid to spend more money on a paint job that in no way will catch more fish than a store bought fire tiger or crawfish pattern. For me, painting myown lures saves me money. ive caught fish on messed up finishes, hell even rolling crankbaits that didn't run true

All Rapalas are assembled in Estonia, hooks made in France.

Personally, i just purchased a few KO's. They will catch fish. I am not going to resell custom painted lures, because i think it's pretty stupid to spend more money on a paint job that in no way will catch more fish than a store bought fire tiger or crawfish pattern. For me, painting myown lures saves me money. ive caught fish on messed up finishes, hell even rolling crankbaits that didn't run true

Shhhhhh!!!!!!! Don't let the cat out of the bag! :lol:

Action catches fish, paint jobs catch fishermen.

Kind of like a baitcaster with 10 bearings. There is room for only three bearings on the spool shaft, where they help in casting, so all the rest don't help in the cast, but they do sell reels.

I have already stated in an earlier post my thoughts on the con men, liars and thieves who sell knockoff baits as the real thing and it has not changed.

Check out E-bay – crankbaits – custom – ending soonest and see what this trash is selling for. There is almost a whole page of knockoff repaints without any bids and the couple that are selling are selling for less than $4. If there is an original LC, Megabass, DT or other brand name bait and it’s in the original package then there is a drastic difference in price.

Some of the sales pitches make it worthwhile reading just for laughs. Have won a ton of money with this bait = won a beer bet with my brother-in-law just last weekend. Won a lot of tournaments = but nothing that can be verified. This bait works better than the originul , this is in bold red letters, hope he operates an airbrush better than spell check. I makes some fun reading, fiction of course.

Hey Fish

The post in ebay which you stated about claiming there KO , works better than the

original , That's the one I posted as/well a few pages back , that ebay seller uses that sales pitch a lot.. I agree 100% , if your claiming winning tournaments with these KO's

backup what your posting.

Mike

Edited by MikePaintsBaits

Wow mention somthng bad about a Knock off and you are libel to get WHOOPED around here. Here is my opinion. I say i would rather spend the extra money to get the real thing. I have fished for over twenty years and if someone hands you a bait and asks you to guess if it is a knockoff or not. A good fisherman will notice the diference. By the way i am not big on painting someone elses bait. I make my own. If i like a bait i will make my own. I am personal friends with the best crankbait fisherman here in East Tennessee and he has baits that are handmade and 10 to 20 years old and they will outfish any luckcraft that anyone here has in there box. So lets keep it real. Make your own. There is alot more pride involved in a handmade lure and the paint job in my book. Have a good day and may God Bless You All.

I am NOT sorry about me NOT shutting my mug on this point..

If the Knock off rig is NOT from a country that did NOT produce it is a detriment to the industry and hurts us to a 5 - 10 point scale..

A copy should stay in the country of manufacture of..

END OF STORY..

If you want to get technical about it....almost every crankbait , jig, spinnerbait, worm and most any bait you can think of ARE SOME FORM OF A KNOCKOFF. All have been copied from something someone else made. Even the hand made baits are a copy. JMO

All handmade crankbaits a different wood,density ect so there not knockoffs they are one of a kind.

If you want to get technical about it....almost every crankbait , jig, spinnerbait, worm and most any bait you can think of ARE SOME FORM OF A KNOCKOFF. All have been copied from something someone else made. Even the hand made baits are a copy. JMO

Hey Guys

It's not about people buying KO's , It's a load of sellers on EBAY that are trying to make the KO there selling to be as good as the brand name bait it looks like. I'm sure the brand name companies put a little more work into making there baits , then these off the wall KO

shops.

Someone stated about making your own baits ? I don't have those kinda skills , I can tell you this , I have a section in one of my tackle boxes which holds about (55) handmade baits from different builders , I can say this much , I need to talk to the Rookie about owning some stock in his bait building business , LOL

The custom built baits I own , are nothing short of the wow factor.

Mike

Like many custom wood bait makers, I'm offended by the misrepresentations by many sellers of cheap KO's. But in the end, all you can say is Buyer Beware. If a guy want to dude up some crap KO's and buyers are willing to bite at the idea of getting a Lucky Craft or Megabass lure for a few bucks, you just have to write it off as bottom dwellers eating other bottom dwellers. If they're lucky, the eaten will eventually wise up and realize there's NO FREE LUNCH.

All handmade crankbaits a different wood,density ect so there not knockoffs they are one of a kind.

Wait a minute..... So what your saying is all the RC/MB knock-offs are really one of kind because they are made with different plastic and rattle chambers You can't justifiably argue it both ways. If it is shaped alike and made of wood then it is a knock-off by TU lure standards. Which I find ironic when this entire website is based on making a bait cheaper or simply copying an orginial. Look in the mirror folks. If you say you havent copied something or someone your not a very honest person. I will tell you right now I will copy anything I think is cool. I will change it slightly to be more cool but at least I openly admit it. And I could care less if someone copies me.

Why do ya'll care anyway. If ya don't like them don't buy them. Maybe the individual seller thinks they are better than the original. He is entitled to his opinion just like you and I. If they keep selling finished baits at $5ea they wont be around long.

Besides I don't think many people who offered an opinion this topic own or have ever thrown a real MB Ito jerkbait. It is like giving an opinion on a vehicle you have never owned.