mrbagley

#5 Trebel Hooks

The only 5's I've seen are VMC Rapala "Original" round bend trebles from Cabelas and I don't see them anymore on the website. If you Google "size 5 treble hook" you will find a few sources/brands. I usually go with a short shank #4 trebles instead. VMC makes some and the new KVD trebles from Mustad are short shank, and pretty nice hooks, IMO.

My favorite #5 treble is the VMC "Rapala" hook. The old boxes were designated "Rapala": The new packaging simply states "Pyramid Point - Round Short, and they are model #4651TR for red hooks, and 4651BN for black nickel. They are packaged 25 in a "Pro Pack", and are a bargain compared to Owners and Gamys. Cabela's still has them.

As far as performance goes, I replaced all my Gamakatsu #5's with the VMC #5's on all my personal lures, because the VMC's are MUCH stronger. I like their shorter shank better than Owner's also. While the VMC's are not quite as sticky-sharp out of the box as Owners are, a moment spent hitting the points with any kind of fine diamond file has them ready for battle: an easy trade-off considering their perfect temper, strength and lower price.

These hooks are also available in size #3, which is also handy considering the big size jump between most #2's an #4's.

Prof, this brings up the question of "what exactly do you want in a treble?" Fortunately, there are enough brands and styles to suit just about anyone's taste. If I have to choose between wire size and hook penetration, I go with penetration because I figure if I can get a hook in, they're coming in the boat 95% of the time. And if the hooks are super sharp, they usually arrive with multiple hooks in them. So I like well tempered thin wire trebles with the sharpest points possible, and mostly that's Japanese brands like Gamakatsu, Owner or Daiichi. I have never lost a fish on a Gamakatsu Round Bend due to the hook bending and that includes fishing for stripers. That's good tempering on a hook with moderately thin wire. I do think the VMC Rapala trebles are a good value for the price. I use their short shank #4 trebles on some crankbaits. I'm trying the new Mustad KVD short shank trebles right now and like them too but am a little put off by the higher "celebrity endorsement" pricing.

Prof, this brings up the question of "what exactly do you want in a treble?" Fortunately, there are enough brands and styles to suit just about anyone's taste. If I have to choose between wire size and hook penetration, I go with penetration because I figure if I can get a hook in, they're coming in the boat 95% of the time. And if the hooks are super sharp, they usually arrive with multiple hooks in them. So I like well tempered thin wire trebles with the sharpest points possible, and mostly that's Japanese brands like Gamakatsu, Owner or Daiichi. I have never lost a fish on a Gamakatsu Round Bend due to the hook bending and that includes fishing for stripers. That's good tempering on a hook with moderately thin wire. I do think the VMC Rapala trebles are a good value for the price. I use their short shank #4 trebles on some crankbaits. I'm trying the new Mustad KVD short shank trebles right now and like them too but am a little put off by the higher "celebrity endorsement" pricing.

Bob,

As I said, I took the #5 Round Bend Gama's offand replaced them: and a lot of my fishing friends did so as well after living with both hooks for awhile. We were all "bending-out" the #5 Gama's way too easily with 15 lb. line on woody cover and the fish that live there in one of our favorite small bass lakes. I may never have noticed the difference fishing with lighter line in a lake with less woody cover, but there are simply no advantages to using lighter line given the snags, and bass and hybrids in less than ten feet of water. Were we fishing deeper, clearer, water, my priorities in a treble hook would change somewhat, as I would be looking for the easiest hook penetration with the least amount of pressure, but for power fishing, the VMC's proved far superior.

The first fish I hooked over 4 pounds on size 6 KVD trebles unhooked himself a foot from the landing net. I have had poor success with the EWG treble styles in sizes smaller than #2's. KVD's hooks are different enough that I wanted to give them an honest try, but I've had poor success with the 4's and 6's. Of course KVD puts #2's on his rattlebaits, so he probably doesn't use the smaller sizes all that much. Another thing about the kind of combat cranking that we do, is that the shorter shanked hooks are advantageous for the same reason that we seldom upsize our trebles: snagging goes way up, and if you can't get your lure through the cover (and the discarded line,etc.), you are not going to catch many fish. I want hook penetration And the strength and where we fish a lot, both are needed to put fish in the boat.