.dsaavedra.

Mixing Paint

I mix large batches for multiple lures and small batches for one shot. For large batches, I mix it in an old 2 oz plastic paint bottle. With Createx colors, that means mixing half a bottle of paint and adding water and flow enhancer to make the bottle about 80% full of ready-to-shoot paint. I mix small batches in a shot glass for immediate use. As far as formulas, some guys like them and you can see a few formulas in the Hardbait Cookbook. If you measure out the paints by cc's and drops of paint to get a "perfect shade" you can note the formula down and repeat it later. I just mix it 'by eye' because a 2 oz batch lasts a long time and quite a few baits.

To minimize waste get a siphone (?) feed airbrush that takes the paint bottles attached to the bottom of the brush. With this you only clean out what paint is in the brush itself. Even with that on a small lure you will probably still waste more than it takes to paint the lure, that's just the nature of the job. A two ounce bottle goes so far that it just is not a big deal. You will probably end up using more white base than all your other colors put together. Buy in larger quantities saves money also. Musky Glenn

i generally only shoot a few drops of paint at a time, but i don't think this would be possible when mixing paint as it would take several drops of each color to get the right shade. is there much waste when mixing in a shot glass for single use?

Waste? Yes, there's some. It boils down to how bad you want that paint shade. I buy taxidermy acrylics when possible to get paint that I can shoot right out of the bottle, but it isn't always possible. What's a boy to do? You can't mix it in the cup of a gravity fed brush. IMO, airbrush paint is pretty inexpensive in the overall scheme of things. I always buy it in 4 oz bottles or larger. You can sometimes overlay transparent airbrush color to get some paint effects but that augments rather than replaces paint mixing.

Edited by BobP

i have an excess of contact lens cases and i've always wondered what to do with them. i think they would be pretty good for mixing paint in. i could even screw on the lid to keep using the color. i don't know how much liquid they hold but its probably about the same volume as the cup on my brush or maybe a little less.

I mix paint with a little white plastic thing with 8 half circles molded into it I got from walmart. I don't know what it is called but it was in the kids paint section. I have tried to thin down paint before but it just never covers very good. I always just shoot the createx straight from the bottle and it works good with my Iwata HP-BR. Just write down the formula in drops to get it perfect every time.

I mix paint with a little white plastic thing with 8 half circles molded into it I got from walmart. I don't know what it is called but it was in the kids paint section. I have tried to thin down paint before but it just never covers very good. I always just shoot the createx straight from the bottle and it works good with my Iwata HP-BR. Just write down the formula in drops to get it perfect every time.

i've got one of these also. when i mixed paint in it i had a hard time transferring it into my airbrush.