21xdc

Making A Fin From Paint Brushs Etc

I'm going to sandwich some paint brush bristles between two thin pieces of wood that are shaped and painted to my needs. Then epoxy finish over.

Before I do this, I'm open to some other ideas for making a bristle fin...

Please post other links that show how... I have searched w/o success.

i guess you want something a little more rigid/thicker to fit in the slot on the back of the slammer?

you could try sandwiching the bristles between popsicle sticks instead of tape (layer the popsicle sticks if 2 sticks + bristles isn't thick enough to fill the slot). in this case you'd want to epoxy the sticks to the bristles.

That looks like a perfect candidate for a Lucite tail. It's thin, hard, and strong, and can be machined/cut with wood working tools. It will click and clack, and you can find it at home depot. I haven't used it for tails, just bills, so I don't know if it can be colored.

If you want to add color, use the dividers from a large Plano 3700 box. Not quite as hard, so there won't be the same click/clack, but they take color from sharpies really well. I use sand paper to grain the pastic before I add the sharpie colors, to give the color something to bite into.

If you want a thinner tail section, you can use the clear tops from quacamole tubs for the tails.

are you wanting a tail similar to triton mikes bull shad? I use bleached/dyed turkey or goose feathers/biots they work better than bristle

I dont want feathers, Yes I guess I'm looking for the Bull Shad look. http://www.tritonmike.com/about.html

I'm not sure I have ever seen these before... I might have to try some now. :lol:

These baits are too much for my pocketbook... :blink: But I want a more durable fin than feathers.

Try epoxying them like you would the bristle if you use synthetic bristle it can be melted with a soldering iron at the base to form a tail fin I tried this but didnt like the way it looked in the water it didnt look natural the feathers/biots hold up really well I have caught 30some fish on my triple trout lookalike and just now replaced the tail

That looks like a perfect candidate for a Lucite tail. It's thin, hard, and strong, and can be machined/cut with wood working tools. It will click and clack, and you can find it at home depot. I haven't used it for tails, just bills, so I don't know if it can be colored.

If you want to add color, use the dividers from a large Plano 3700 box. Not quite as hard, so there won't be the same click/clack, but they take color from sharpies really well. I use sand paper to grain the pastic before I add the sharpie colors, to give the color something to bite into.

If you want a thinner tail section, you can use the clear tops from quacamole tubs for the tails.

Correction. I meant to say Lexan, not Lucite, but my brain got in the way. :lol:

There is a tool used in tying flys that is called a wing burner. It's a tweezer type tool that is shaped to a specific design. You simply pinch the material in the tweezers and burn off the parts sticking out beyond the metal with a torch.

You would have to use bristles from a real hair paintbrush; synthetics would just melt the edges; unless that is what you want.

www.novalures.com

Edited by nova

I'll be painting mine to match the bait and epoxy clear coating. I think the wood might work best. There is another bait called a "woodtail" thats similar to the MS Slammer.

Another advantage of using wood is that it will be buoyant, and make the tail more lively.

If you pick the grain right, you can use alcohol dyes to color it, and still have the grain pattern show through.