blazt*

Createx Fluorescents...bad Idea?

Createx describes their fluorescents colors as "not for permanent finishes...pigments are in a rapid state of decay" etc. So I'm wondering if anyone has a lure that has been coated w/ Createx fluoro for a long time and if it's a good idea in general. Also wondering if they have a chartreuse elsewhere in their line. I kind of distressed over this because I'd like to shoot Createx exclusively, but it's kind of hard to consider when you can't put together decent firetiger!

Createx describes their fluorescents colors as "not for permanent finishes...pigments are in a rapid state of decay" etc. So I'm wondering if anyone has a lure that has been coated w/ Createx fluoro for a long time and if it's a good idea in general. Also wondering if they have a chartreuse elsewhere in their line. I kind of distressed over this because I'd like to shoot Createx exclusively, but it's kind of hard to consider when you can't put together decent firetiger!

Createx flourescents do fade over time, mainly when exposed to UV. I've got shirts I've painted years ago with the flourescents that still look new. I don't know about their chartreuse, but you should look into painting with semi- and full transparents over a white or metallic base, like automotive or bike paint jobs. Gives you way more versatility.

I've used Createx fluorescents for years with no problems. Manufactures commonly give a worst-case-scenario when describing longevity properties so they won't be held liable for products which don't perform perfectly under the most severe conditions. The worst in the case of paints would be daily exposure to UV. Makers of other fluorescent filming, skinning (Mono Cote), or coating products state the same thing about their fluorescent products, i.e. all fluorescent finishes are subject to fading with age in preportion to their amount of UV exposure.

All my old Createx fl. yellows and oranges look as good as the day they were born, at least to my eyes. Occasionally I will restore an old favorite custom crankbait for someone, and I have learned that one can't tell what the original color was until an old epoxy coat is sanded through. I have been amazed to find fluorescent yellow hiding beneath a dull discolored epoxy more than once.

Definitely have, and they look promising. IRC Auto Air and Wicked are both waterborne (w/solvent) so they should spray a little better. Although I don't think they have chartreuse or hot orange in that line.

Have you checked into the Auto Air line of paints? They're made by the same company and are compatible with each other. At least that was what their tech department told me. I know I've mixed the two together when mixing for a specific color and they worked fine for me.

Ben

I've used Createx fluorescents for years with no problems. Manufactures commonly give a worst-case-scenario when describing longevity properties so they won't be held liable for products which don't perform perfectly under the most severe conditions. The worst in the case of paints would be daily exposure to UV. Makers of other fluorescent filming, skinning (Mono Cote), or coating products state the same thing about their fluorescent products, i.e. all fluorescent finishes are subject to fading with age in preportion to their amount of UV exposure.

All my old Createx fl. yellows and oranges look as good as the day they were born, at least to my eyes. Occasionally I will restore an old favorite custom crankbait for someone, and I have learned that one can't tell what the original color was until an old epoxy coat is sanded through. I have been amazed to find fluorescent yellow hiding beneath a dull discolored epoxy more than once.

Sounds like Createx overdid the warning in this case. How old are your lures, and how often do they get fished? And hopefully that's not d2t going yellow.

I've used their fluorescent orange for bluegill accents, and they haven't faded so far. Some of my baits with that paint are over two years old.

That's good to know. I'm thinking 2-3 years of hard use under a good clear would be all I could ask. Do they get a lot of sun, those lures?

That's good to know. I'm thinking 2-3 years of hard use under a good clear would be all I could ask. Do they get a lot of sun, those lures?

I keep anything I'm fishing tied on and on the deck, in the sun. If I cut it off to try something else, I generally just lay in next to the rods on my deck, so I can tie it back on without searching for it.

Stuff I'm not currently fishing are in Plano boxes or tupperware, in tackle compartments, or back in my garage resting up for the next trip.

I've left some cranks and swimbaits on the deck, and in the sun, for several trips in a row, and I haven't noticed any fading.

Edited by mark poulson

Sounds like Createx overdid the warning in this case. How old are your lures, and how often do they get fished? And hopefully that's not d2t going yellow.

I've been using Createx flouorescents on lures for 8 years. Although I no longer fish 200+ days a year, I fish them, and some of my lures are used heavily by other fishermen. I didn't use balsa, or an epoxy for coating lures 25 years ago, and I have no idea what brand may have been popular then.

Corporate always errs on the side of caution, extremely so when there exists any possibilty of litigation.

No issues with baits all the way back to 2002. A good clear should prevent any problems. Gaps in a clear, lake rash, incompatible clear may let in water and that will mess up any water based paint. My C-Tex flo colors are all as bright as I want them to be. They even hold the value of their colors well when thinning, extending, adding transparent base, etc.