tekoutdoors.co

Stripe For Shad Pattern

The painters tape will leave you a hard, sharp line that doesn't look natural. I ended up free handing mine and they look much more natural. You'll need to thin your paint, turn the air pressure down (I usually turn mine down to between 3 to 5 psi) and get fairly close to your work to paint details like lateral lines and such. I clamp my lure with hemostats and then clamp the hemostats in a hobby vice. This allows me to steady the brush with both hands and I can also rest my forearms or elbows on the work bench. (my hands shake pretty bad) If you still want to use the painters tape you can stick it to your blue jeans, shorts, t-shirt or whatever a couple of times and the lint and dust it picks up will make it less sticky so it shouldn't pull your paint away from the lure.

Ben

I am trying to paint a couple of different shad patterns on some baits and am having a hard time getting a good straight line. I used blue painters tape and it ripped of a couple of little bits of paint when removing it. Just wondering if anyone else has any idea on how to get them on there. Thanks, Tim

You can make yourself a stencil out of a milk jug or some stiff paper and just hold it next to the lure and spray, wala, nice straight line

Billy

I will try to turn down my air compressor that far but last time it just went down to zero and same with the regulator I put on it. They are both from harbor freight and seem kinda like junk. I will try sticking the tape to my jeans a couple of times and try that if turning down the pressure doesn't work. Thanks for all the suggestions! This site is awesome!

I will try to turn down my air compressor that far but last time it just went down to zero and same with the regulator I put on it. They are both from harbor freight and seem kinda like junk. I will try sticking the tape to my jeans a couple of times and try that if turning down the pressure doesn't work. Thanks for all the suggestions! This site is awesome!

Glad you got it to work for you. That's a good looking paint job.

Ben

I make stencils from clear plastic sheets like transparencies or folder covers from Office Max. They sell them at the print desk in single sheets cheap. Then I use a dremel tool and diamond cone bit to cut them out.

The strait line I have used the exacto knife and ruler.

21xdc, thanks for the tip about using a dremel tool.

If you like that... Maybe you will like this. :lol:

I google image http://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi Crappie, bluegill, etc and look for a pic I like best. Then use the ctrl and scroll on my mouse to size the pic to the bait size I'm gonna paint. I use the eye and tail as a reference. Then I tape my clear sheet on the puter screen, Mark with a sharpie the eye and tail center. Then mark all the stuff I want to paint. Dremmel out the marks and leave the eye and tail marks.

Then I put the stencil on the bait lining up the eye and tail... Shoot the paint and I get the real deal. :D