brent19

Best B/n Treble Hook For Crankbaits

What is the best "Black Nickel" Treble hook for crankbaits? I'm looking at buy some in bulk but don't want to buy the wrong thing. I need size #4 and #6's. Thanks

Well the best treble hooks are Owner Hooks but they are super expensive. Gamakatsu are kinda expensive too. I use Mustad and Eagle Claw and they seem to work really well and are not to expensive to buy in bulk.

Gamakatsu Round Bend trebles are my choice. Lots of places to buy them so you can sometimes find a decent price on a box of 25. They are very sharp right out of the box and are tempered so they stay that way. Some prefer the Gamakatsu EWG trebles and they sell for a similar price. There are other brands that are good. Can't remember any Japanese trebles that were sub-par and I also like some domestic models like the Mustad KVD short shank trebles. I'm willing to experiment with new stuff but the Gamakatsu Round Bends are my standard "known-good" choice. I also prefer the dull bronze color on the Round Bend hooks.

Gamakatsu's are the sharpest ones , that I know , but they are quite expensive , ...........with VMC's(bronzed trebles , or "Barbarians") you get a good hook for a bit less money , if you find them in bulk , .....also available in black color .

I also like "Eagle Claw Curved Point" trebles pretty much , they also "stick" at one touch , ...but are hard to find over here !

greetz , diemai :yay:

Edited by diemai

Thanks for the reply's! Where is a good place to buy bulk hooks from besides Cat Hooks. They don't have much unless you want bronze finish. Ive checked Janns and barlows also. Thanks

Gamakatsu's are the sharpest ones , that I know , but they are quite expensive , ...........with VMC's(bronzed trebles , or "Barbarians") you get a good hook for a bit less money , if you find them in bulk , .....also available in black color .

I also like "Eagle Claw Curved Point" trebles pretty much , they also "stick" at one touch , ...but are hard to find over here !

greetz , diemai :yay:

If you like VMC trebles, Cabelas carries as good a selection as any with decent prices. They have black VMC Rapala hooks, short shank #4's, and the "in-line treble" which lays on the belly of a crankbait so that the tines are equal on both sidesto improve balance and limit hook rash on the sides of the lure. Personally, I think there are sharper, more durable trebles as stated before but if you think the hooks on Rapalas are OK, here's where you can get some.

Edited by BobP

If you can order under a company name, then "Shorty's Hooks" is good for bulk hooks. I think that most of the pros that are sponsored by Mustad are using their BLN 36300 Elite treble hook vs. the new KVD treble hook. After using both, I tend to agree that it is a better all around hook than others that I have tried.

Skeeterjeff

What is the best "Black Nickel" Treble hook for crankbaits? I'm looking at buy some in bulk but don't want to buy the wrong thing. I need size #4 and #6's. Thanks

I would forsure go with eagle claw. just make sure they are lazer sharps. I bought some off ebay for cheap from this guy. They were 3x short shank lazer sharp hooks and I love them. Because they are the Short shank you can use larger hooks which is always a plus. The ebay adress to guy I bought them from is http://shop.ebay.com/kdsports/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Check em out. He sells em cheap too they are normally like $4 for 20 of em

I have the following from Stamina, however, they are out of stock:

Barbless Treble #2

Don't know who makes these but they are sticky sharp and I wish I bought some more, however, I haven't been able to use them much so IDK how durable they are. They are a wavy hook design, I guess this might make them harder for the fish to throw.

I wouldn't mind more barbless hooks, particularly in the 1/0 to 7/0 sizes since I only fish with barbless trebles. I'm currently using the Eagle Claw 954BLN and Eagle Claw 7777, they seem sharper than my Mustads of equal size (non B/N) and plenty strong so I will continue to use these if given the chance.

Do you have a preference for black nickel hooks for a reason? I prefer them because I like the way they look, and perhaps a bit more stealthy than silver.

I switched to Mustad Triple grips and haven't looked back, I want to try the Short shanks this year.

Rodney

I am using the Mustad Triple grip short shank hooks now, and love them.

I wish they made them in bigger sizes.

With the short shank I can use bigger hooks on my cranks without fouling, they seem to make less hook rash, and I think the inward facing points keep the fish on better.

FYI this year's Bassmaster Classic was won with Mustad KVD trebles. If you decide to go that route get the 11 pack. Cheaper.

I favor the Excalibur, but I'm not sure if you can be sure of that you are going to get. I have some that sure look like Excalibur hooks, and they look like black nickle, but the ones I ordered in bulk a while back looked like bronze finish.

Not sure where those black ones came from, but I am hording them. The sure do a good job of sticking fish,

What I usually wind up doing is putting the pre-tied Owner tournament trailers on the back of baits, and the Excalibur on the front.