redg8r

A New Year - A New Look

A quick preview of a well deserved & overdue update to the TackleUnderground website.

The blue & gold pays homage to the way the site looked almost a decade ago. Those of you familiar with the wayback machine can have a look if you have time to burn & like a stroll down memory lane, (or a good laugh, perhaps).

The change should take effect in the next day or two, simply be aware.

A few small notes worth mentioning is that this update will temporarily remove a couple features and improve others:

• The "Status Updates" feature will be temporarily removed until it can be reimplemented site-wide.
  • Chat (shoutbox) will be down and soon replaced with an improved (actual) chatroom. More on that later.
  • The site navigation menu will be changed to condense links and improve overall navigation.
Any comments or concerns are always welcome.

Click here to view the article

Hey Jerry, I noticed in previewing the new website there's no bar at the bottom to move the screen right and left. I can change the resolution on my computer but it makes the print small and difficult to read. I was just wondering is this going to be part of the permanent change?

If you have Internet Explorer 8, you can hold the Ctrl button down and scroll your middle mouse button to change the zoom of the page. Or you can use the button at the bottom right hand corner of the page

If you have Internet Explorer 8, you can hold the Ctrl button down and scroll your middle mouse button to change the zoom of the page. Or you can use the button at the bottom right hand corner of the page

David, which button are you talking about? The only button I have at the right hand corner of my page scrolls the page up and down. Where's the button to scroll the page right or left? I can zoom in or out by changing the resolution.

Does the site seem slow to load pages or is it just me? I've also noticed that when trying to scroll it doesn't do so in a smooth manner, but kind of jerky. Is this just part of the "growing pains" that will be resolved when the update is finished?

Ben

I agree... scrolling is jerky. Also, the page doesn't seem to be framed correctly, it no longer fits in the standard size page and has generated a slide bar at the bottom to view the content on the right side.

I'm sure it's probably growing pains

Jerry,

The old version was kinda slow. This one is glacial! It takes at least ten seconds, minimum, to change forums, or load anything.

Help!!!

PS. I just endured having to ask my 16 year old computer whiz kid for help, and even she couldn't get it to go faster. She says there's something wrong with the site, and that it's taking a huge amount of CPU, whatever that means.

Looks good now and much smoother... thanks

After looking a little closer, I see that there is content on the right side of the main forum page (looks like sponsor stuff) that isn't being displayed in Firefox but it looks fine in IE.

Also, in this thread (just one I grabbed at random) example you can not see the right 1/4 of the messages in Firefox or IE.

Thanks for the feedback,

I addressed a couple issues, including the site width and inconsistent "jerky" scrolling in internet explorer.

Press "ctrl" and "F5" together on your keyboard to force a page refresh in your browser.

I came , I saw, I refreshed, and it's still painfully slow. I use Internet Explorer, and I tried using Mozilla, but it's the same.

Last night, I got the red "Server Crashed" screen. Could it be that the new server is overloaded?

FYI It took 25 seconds for this reply to post.

Edited by mark poulson

Hey Jerry, I noticed in previewing the new website there's no bar at the bottom to move the screen right and left. I can change the resolution on my computer but it makes the print small and difficult to read. I was just wondering is this going to be part of the permanent change?

I'm expericing the same problem, no bar to scroll left or right and when I use the 75% mode for explorer the print is too small to read :(

Mark

I'm expericing the same problem, no bar to scroll left or right and when I use the 75% mode for explorer the print is too small to read :(

Mark

Same problem for me. There is no scroll bar at the bottom and when I resize the page so that it shows everything the print is too small to read. Still seems a little slow to load although the up and down scrolling is much better.

Ben

Ok,

Site width has been addressed. Should be fine for users with screens set to 1024px and above (99% of users)

Site speed is being addressed, you should see improvements already, more can be done, feel free to update me if you like.

Thanks again for the feedback,

Jerry

Every other web side on the net manages to fill my screen, but not TU.

Here is what I get:

stripersscreen.jpg

TUscreen.jpg

It seems that all other sites tune the display to the screen being used. Once again I am left with a tiny display with 3" dead space each side. You are only ever going to make a small percentage happy with this method of display.

Is this a great hardship for me? No, not as much as having to scroll to read every thread, like the small screen users have to do. But there is a better solution and every other web site seems to have it.

Dave

Dave

stripersscreen.jpg

TUscreen.jpg

stripersscreen.jpg

TUscreen.jpg

stripersscreen.jpg

TUscreen.jpg

stripersscreen.jpg

TUscreen.jpg

stripersscreen.jpg

TUscreen.jpg

stripersscreen.jpg

TUscreen.jpg

stripersscreen.jpg

TUscreen.jpg

post-11291-0-13010300-1297268435_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-85698400-1297268443_thumb.jpg

Ok,

Site width has been addressed. Should be fine for users with screens set to 1024px and above (99% of users)

Site speed is being addressed, you should see improvements already, more can be done, feel free to update me if you like.

Thanks again for the feedback,

Jerry

Not sure what is happening as some pages I can see the whole page with my resolution set at 1024. I had to come back to the first page of this post as I couldn't even see the "add reply" button on the next page. I even tried changing the text size by holding ctrl and turning the scroll button on my mouse. I made the text both larger and smaller and neither worked. When I made the text larger I got the scroll bar at the bottom of the screen, but with the scroll bar pushed as far as it would go I still couldn't see the right hand side of the screen. Not sure why it does it on some pages and not others.

Ben