parker085

3" Stick Bait Help

So I got a few 3" stick bait molds from del-mart a little while back and have just now started to play with them. I'm able to pour them just fine when I'm pouring plastic with nothing added, no salt or softer. The formula I would like to pour is the standard stick formula. 1 cup plastic (LC 502)/ 1/2 cup salt/ 1/4 softener as that gives my sticks the fall rate i'm looking for. When try to pour that formula into these molds I'm having trouble keeping the stream of plastic thin enough to pour straight down the center and get full pours. I currently only getting one or two good ones out of seven cavities. My setup is, I'm pouring from a one cup Anchor cup, getting my plastic around 340 to 350, and the formal is the standard senko formula above. I'm currently not flouring my salt but I'm wondering if that may help.

Please let me know if anyone else has had this issue and what they did to correct it.

Thanks

So I got a few 3" stick bait molds from del-mart a little while back and have just now started to play with them. I'm able to pour them just fine when I'm pouring plastic with nothing added, no salt or softer. The formula I would like to pour is the standard stick formula. 1 cup plastic (LC 502)/ 1/2 cup salt/ 1/4 softener as that gives my sticks the fall rate i'm looking for. When try to pour that formula into these molds I'm having trouble keeping the stream of plastic thin enough to pour straight down the center and get full pours. I currently only getting one or two good ones out of seven cavities. My setup is, I'm pouring from a one cup Anchor cup, getting my plastic around 340 to 350, and the formal is the standard senko formula above. I'm currently not flouring my salt but I'm wondering if that may help.

Please let me know if anyone else has had this issue and what they did to correct it.

Thanks

My rookie opinion on this...I mainly pour RTV stuff, however I have a 7 cav 5.25 stick mold...I flour my salt and it works for me...I like 2 tblsp maybe 3 of salt..and it matched the sink rate of another stick very popular...Preheat mold???

My rookie opinion on this...I mainly pour RTV stuff, however I have a 7 cav 5.25 stick mold...I flour my salt and it works for me...I like 2 tblsp maybe 3 of salt..and it matched the sink rate of another stick very popular...Preheat mold???

Yes I have tried preheating, didn't help much. I'm thinking my plastic is too thick and the hole is too small. The hole on these little stick molds is really small.

Try pouring a little hotter to get a thinner stream.

I think I'm going to have to try and flour my salt if I'm going to add anymore heat. i did try to bump up the heat up in the 350's and all my salt sunk to the bottom as i was pouring. I'm guessing flouring the salt would keep that from happening.

I just got one of these molds in trade. I think it is a more chllenging mold to pour. I tried two hand pours using recycle plastic, and out of 14 sticks, one was good. The prior owner had opened up the sprue a little, already. Today I made a resin injector block for it. Using the same plastic, here are the results:

How I made the block

NewBloctT0003a.jpg

Thanks for the help guys. I worked on pouring some more this morning and was able to get it to pour a little better by flouring my salt, raising the temp to around 355, and keeping the cup really close to the sprue. Still not getting full pours every time but i was getting 5 and 6 out of 7.

FuzzyGrub, I have been reading about the resin injector blocks you have been making but haven't had a chance to make one yet. That looks like one option for fixing my issue. Thanks

It's also great to hear a Presto Pot w/ stirrer from Bears will pour these 3" sticks. I have been strongly considering getting one of those pots as I'm sure it would make pouring large quantities of baits much easier.

Thanks again

Sorry I just re read your post...502 LC plastic...That is the hard stuff. I use that for pouring my saltwater smb....That stuff needs to be hot and I mean hot. For me its a fine line with the heat getting it to pour from my Lee pots and being too hot...Try 536 LC will be much better I think...

Take this advice. it will help you a ton!!!!

Sorry Basscandy I missed your reply (thanks for pointing this out SHK) I have some super soft here so i will have to give it a try. Thanks

I noticed you listed 1 3/4 cups of ingredients and said you're pouring from a 1 cup anchor cup. How full is your cup when you start? The less plastic you have in the cup, the finer stream you will be able to pour. I usually pour 1/2 cup increments out of a 2 cup pyrex. The small sprue requires a steady hand as well.

I noticed you listed 1 3/4 cups of ingredients and said you're pouring from a 1 cup anchor cup. How full is your cup when you start? The less plastic you have in the cup, the finer stream you will be able to pour. I usually pour 1/2 cup increments out of a 2 cup pyrex. The small sprue requires a steady hand as well.

Great question, it's hard to fit 1 3/4 cups worth of stuff into a 1 cup glass.rolleyes.gif I started with a 2 cup glass and then transfered from my larger cup to a smaller 1 cup b.c I thought I could get a thinner pour out of the smaller glass. This is a great point as I was having more trouble when the 1 cup was full and it got easier as the cup got down near the 1/2 a cup mark.

dont use as much softener if you try the supersoft though, or you will have a whole new set of problems

Thanks for the heads up. If I'm using super soft do I even need to add softener? I did a quick search and found people saying if you use LC 536 for sticks you don't have to use softener. When I pour sticks normally I use 1 cup of LC 502, 1/2 cup salt, and 1/4 softener.

Edited by parker085

The problem is pretty simple to fix, its the plastic its just to hard of a plastic to pour in that small of a hole.

what happens is that even at a hotter temp the plastic wont get thin enough to pour very well.

go with the super soft plastic like people have said and DONT use softener or at least very little, your plastic will be much thinner and much easier to pour..

on a 3" stick the hole opening is only 3/16 if memory serves me correctly. it will pour great but just not with a hard plastic due to how thick it pours.

if you ahve any problems just let me know.

Delw

The problem is pretty simple to fix, its the plastic its just to hard of a plastic to pour in that small of a hole.

what happens is that even at a hotter temp the plastic wont get thin enough to pour very well.

go with the super soft plastic like people have said and DONT use softener or at least very little, your plastic will be much thinner and much easier to pour..

on a 3" stick the hole opening is only 3/16 if memory serves me correctly. it will pour great but just not with a hard plastic due to how thick it pours.

if you ahve any problems just let me know.

Delw

This supports what I was thinking, that my plastic was too thick. I'm going to give it a try with super soft here a night this week and see what happens.

Delw, the mold is great. The issue here is more about the guy trying to hit that little hole and how thick the plastic is that I'm using. rolleyes.gif

I wanted to thank everyone for all the help. I was able to hand pour this mold once a switched to LC super soft. I'm still going to look into getting a presto pot and building a injection block as i'm sure it save some time. Now I just need the lakes to thaw out so I can go test them out.