Kris

Source For Pics Of Fish

I've been googling images of different types of fish ie: typing in bluegill, perch, rainbow trout, smallmouth bass , etc. I normally find good clear pics right away. I then save them to a folder on my pc for later use. I have also been playing with a program called gimp, where I can copy and post the pics and then play with the shades , sharpness etc of the colors. Hope this helps :) .

I was reading up on where to find some good pictures of panfish. I checked out many of the links that were given but there are several species of panfish I have around my area that seemed hard to get images that I was looking for. So... I went down to a creek in the woods and pulled out a few fish myself and brought them home to put in a tank for my own photo shoot. I noticed that a large bluegill I caught had a bright red throat when I first caught him. The next day the red was barley an orange, the next day it was even fainter. I had taken the pictures that I wanted and then put them back in the creek. I was wondering if anyone knows why there colors change like that. The temperature was about the same in my tank as it is in the creek. My only guess what that the fish was not happy and was in a bad mood after being caught. Or maybe it has something to do with the clarity of the water that makes them change colors. It is not just the red throat but all the colors, stripes, everything that is not as vibrant.

I was reading up on where to find some good pictures of panfish. I checked out many of the links that were given but there are several species of panfish I have around my area that seemed hard to get images that I was looking for. So... I went down to a creek in the woods and pulled out a few fish myself and brought them home to put in a tank for my own photo shoot. I noticed that a large bluegill I caught had a bright red throat when I first caught him. The next day the red was barley an orange, the next day it was even fainter. I had taken the pictures that I wanted and then put them back in the creek. I was wondering if anyone knows why there colors change like that. The temperature was about the same in my tank as it is in the creek. My only guess what that the fish was not happy and was in a bad mood after being caught. Or maybe it has something to do with the clarity of the water that makes them change colors. It is not just the red throat but all the colors, stripes, everything that is not as vibrant.

Example: Walleye can get almost WHITE if the bottom is sand..

The color change that your talking about could be the water clarity or the type of structure it has been around.....just like a bass will change color if he is been in grass, deeper water, muddy water where there is less light. I'm sure they are many other reasons these changes might happen.....If you do a google search i'm sure you will find lots of info......

take care, Brent

Stress and poor water conditions are most likely the reason for your observations. If the tank is not cycled you will have no bacterial load to break down fish waste products, so you have a continual increase in ammonia and potentially nitrites. An air pump or some form of water circulation would also be needed to avoid oxygen depletion.