gonfishn

Ky Iii Crankbaits

A friend is looking for the source of these crankbaits. All that's on the bottom of them is KY III Did some searching and noticed that someone sold a lot of 6 with KY IV on them but that was all, maker unknown. These baits look a lot like the AC SHINER lures which are still hand-made in the Cincinnati area. Anyway, back to the lure, anyone have any info on these?

A friend is looking for the source of these crankbaits. All that's on the bottom of them is KY III Did some searching and noticed that someone sold a lot of 6 with KY IV on them but that was all, maker unknown. These baits look a lot like the AC SHINER lures which are still hand-made in the Cincinnati area. Anyway, back to the lure, anyone have any info on these?

These baits were called "Kentuckians", and were one of the early lures on the custom balsa scene. I have but one left, although it is in very good + condition. My particular lure was bought at "Tackle Mart", popularly known as "Bruce's", on Preston Highway in Louisville, KY , circa 1970. Mine is a bigger lure and is marked on the bottom in orange, "KY X". It is black back on silver foil.

Bruce's last name won't come to me right now (&%$@!) but I can find out pretty soon if I don't remember right away...I'm thinking that he may have made them, and I believe he sold them for about $10 each...40 years ago!

If it cost $10 40 years ago, how much would it cost today?

With inflation, that same lure would cost more than the most expensive Lucky Craft or Megabass lures cost today.

And I wouldn't trade it for a dozen dozen of those Mega or L.C. production lures, considering it made some boat payments, and helped me win a large state circuit championship; which led to a lot of work in the fishing tackle industry, and in turn provided me a lot of free product. It also steered me to balsa as the primary wood I used for my own custom crankbaits. All things considered, it was worth the money. And it still has some fishing to do!

;)