markw

Muskie Sized Tubes

I'd like to try making some muskie sized tubes that would be 8-10" in length. I'm new to plastic baits, but my guess is that dipping would be the best way. As I look through my garage, the wood handle of a broom looks like the perfect diameter and has a nice round end. Is it possible to dip with wood? If yes, how do I prevent the plastic from sticking to the wood? If it won't work, do you have any ideas for making something that size?

Thanks!

Maybe this could work? My link

the wood will not work unless you coat it with something like JB weld, but even that can be hit and miss. go to a welding shop or tractor dealership with a repair shop and see if they have some scrap rod big enough, they would even have the tools to round the nose, and possibly weld a handle on the the end to make dipping easier (although this would weigh a ton). Maybe you could get some thin wall pipe and snip the ends and bend it to make round, the JB weld the cracks? something kinda like deiter has been woking on with a crankbait idea. Mainly look at the ends of the bait. It think this would work for you.

My link

Tight Lines,

George

first buy Bojon's video on tube making and then upsize the molds he shows you how to make ........... that's what I did and it works great with the horizontal dipping .......... biggest problem though is making the head hard enough so it doesn't collapse in the retrieve ............ I either use a cork/wood nose if it is to float or a lead plug cast via a mold on the hook depending on whether it is to float or sink ................ they work on stripers ......... but haven't used them that much .........

Dear Markw, here you are the link of a my past 3D here on http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/20756-tubes-thanks-guys-for-your-suggestions/page__p__154814__fromsearch__1#entry154814

No rod but plastic pipe and water will be your mold. Inside this article you will find also the link to our Italian Forum and Network and in it there is also the video with the Guy, Il Gatto (The Cat), who invented this simple system. The thread engaged a lot of TU Members and you can also find their good suggestions to improve the Big Tube "Molding".

If you need some translations, do not hesitate to contact me.

Bye.

Cami

I have tried wood coated with JB WELD,epoxy,Elmers,and pvc pipe coating.You can get a half decent tube by cooling nose down,and cooling for a long time.The nose will be thicker,but this method is very time consuming,and you can use a whole bunch of other materiel for your dipping rods,that will work better.Whatever you use to make your rods be sure to lub lightly.I use Pam.Too much will cause it to run off and sag,so use a slight amount,and gently wipe down.Remember the dipping process should only take a second.What you want is the hot plastic to build up on the cold rod.If you keep the rod in the hot plastic too long,the tube wall will be thin.Cool between dips and you will get a thicker walled tube.You can cool the rod in the fridge,after the first dip has cooled down and is formed.Be sure to wipe dry before you dip again.Worst possiable enemy would be moisture.Water,and hot plastic is dangerous.One guy I helped wanted to make really big tubes.I suggested he use the top rail of a chain link fence,and seal the ends so no air would be trapped he would have to use a hollow handle.That would be one giant tube.My guess it would end up being 1 3/4" to 2 inches dia.Like a lot of guys he may have dropped the idea.I never saw the final results.I also told him he could use aluminum rain gutter,with the ends sealed with JB Weld as a dipping pan.To make a big tube like this would require more than one guy,and several microwaves,and a whole lot of plastic.Sorry about the long post.Ramblings of a old man can be boring.

I made a lot of 6" tubes for a guy using crochet needles. They come in all kinds of lengths and diameters. I have had great success with hand dipping tubes. Lots of fun to do also if you have the extra time. Tubes are my favorite soft plastic to fish, so it is worth it for me.

The end does not need to be rounded.The hot plastic running down the rod tends to round out at the nose.I dip 100% with flat dipping rods.Send me your email address and I will send a photo of my rods.Try the knit needle rod and cut off the end square.See how it works.No worry about a rounded end.

I don't know crap. But, if you were going to dip a tube in something hot and it worked better the colder the tube was. Why not make one from Aluminum that is hollow and fill it with ice? We are talking broom handle size right? You could keep adding ice and dipping away. Is that dumb?

Hummm having that water close to the hot platic could lol cause issues I guess.

Edited by Supertuner

I don't know crap. But, if you were going to dip a tube in something hot and it worked better the colder the tube was. Why not make one from Aluminum that is hollow and fill it with ice? We are talking broom handle size right? You could keep adding ice and dipping away. Is that dumb?

Hummm having that water close to the hot platic could lol cause issues I guess.

Please don't try that!!!!!! You don't have to cool the rod down that much.This would be a accident waiting to happen.

Please don't try that!!!!!! You don't have to cool the rod down that much.This would be a accident waiting to happen.

Some of the hardware stores have aluminum tubing in the steel rack, usually with the all thread, steel angle etc.

Buy the diameter that you want to work with, cut them to the length that you need. Then take them to someone that has a tig welder and weld a piece of flat aluminum on one end. the flat end will give you the extra thick head on the tube.

Done deal!!

Some of the hardware stores have aluminum tubing in the steel rack, usually with the all thread, steel angle etc.

Buy the diameter that you want to work with, cut them to the length that you need. Then take them to someone that has a tig welder and weld a piece of flat aluminum on one end. the flat end will give you the extra thick head on the tube.

Done deal!!

Or cut it and fold the end closed, and smooth it with JB Weld. You can get any shape on the end you want, and you can do a bunch of different shapes.

Or cut it and fold the end closed, and smooth it with JB Weld. You can get any shape on the end you want, and you can do a bunch of different shapes.

you don't even need to fold the end closed .......... just shape the JBweld in the end and around the rod ......... I'll post pictures of mine if I can get the time this weekend ........

you don't even need to fold the end closed .......... just shape the JBweld in the end and around the rod ......... I'll post pictures of mine if I can get the time this weekend ........

I use JB Weld a lot,and find it useful for a bunch of things when making lures.I have sealed the end of brass,or aluminum tube to make dipping rods.Works very well.I also use Epoxy putty to shape the end of the rods to give a new look to tube lures.Fat head,swimbait style,and several other shapes.Horizontal dipping the rods to give them two or more colors makes for a different look.Try the Epoxy putty,the type you can sand,or file,and dip the creation.Fun!

Done deal!!

Should be able to find solid aluminum rod large enough. Eliminates the "closing of the end" problem. Can grind it to whatever shape you want for the end of your mandrel.

This is one of the methods I used in the dark ages of tube dipping, before I fully realized the hassle involved. Of course, in a case like this (giant bait) it may be the only way.

Might try these for a tube dipping overview...

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/633-is-there-a-way-to-make-tubes-efficiently-without-a-machine/page__p__3615__hl__dtrs5kprs__fromsearch__1#entry3615

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/4444-question-about-tube-dippin/page__p__28770__hl__dtrs5kprs__fromsearch__1#entry28770

Ghostie posties from days gone by. With horizontal dip on a tube that large, you may have trouble getting the tube to cool quickly enough on the mandrel to avoid thin spots, malformed heads, etc (due to weight of plastic, slower cooling of a larger bait, and good old gravity).