Dirt-Town-Dawg

Sweet Beaver Pop

Hello Everybody! I have been reading this site for the past few days, and I've already learned a lot! I want to make a POP mold of a sweet beaver that I can pour 2 or 3 colors that I've read about in the Recipe book I bought on this site the other day. I have never made a POP mold, or even poured a bait, but I expect to begin soon. Anyway, I do fish alot, and I fish with sweet beavers often. Have any of you made a POP mold of a sweet beaver, or have you fished with a bait made in that way? I am not sure I'll like a sweet beaver with a completely flat side. Should I just stick to making a POP of my other favorite, an OL MONSTER worm? Thanks! <*)}}}><

I see much paranoia about patents. I am not a lawyer. BUt for example you can make a copy of a piece a music you purchased if it's for personal use. Same as dvr recording a show for personal use. It get's different when you start selling.

I imagine copying a bait for personal use would be about the same.

I don't know whether they have patents, etc or not. They probably do, but they certainly don't need to worry about me. What I want to know is whether one piece POP molds are good for creature, beaver style baits, or whether it's best just to make things like worms with one piece POP molds.

Why not make a 2 part PoP mold, it will work well. Just need a little practice to stop the two halves sticking together. Lots of information on the web about 2 part molding.

Dave

Yeah, I want to pour a one-piece mold because I am going to try the killer 2 and 3 color combos that are in the Ultimate Worm If you poured a sweet beaver with a one piece pop mold, the bait you make would look and function completely different than the original sweet beaver, but bass might like it anway.

Regarding patent/copyright infringement, I don't see how a one-piece pop could result in a substantially similar bait that would infringe on a copyright or patent. For example, if you poured a one piece pop mold of a RI "Sweet Beaver", the bait would have one side that is completely flat. Also, the plastic may be alot softer than an original sweet beaver. A bait made with a one piece mold will not be as thick as the original. The bait would probably have a completely different action because of the flat side. I don't think someone would want to buy a bait made from a one piece mold of a sweet beaver because of the flat side. But, even though the flat sided bait produced by a one piece pop mold may not look or function like the original "Sweet Beaver", and therefore, fishermen would probably not buy the bait, it may catch fish better because of the differences.

I forgot to say welcome to TU.

You are probably right about the flat sided bait escaping patent law. But you will have to find another name if you want to sell it. The name is as big a part of the fuss as the shape and everything else.

Looking forward to seeing your poured creations.

Dave

In answer to your question I have fished flat-sided beavers with success. They were made from Lurecraft molds that are no longer for sale but POP would work. I'd also turn the little fins around so they'd be easier to pour. There are also some great aluminum (one piece) ones around. Several sold on ebay last week. Here's a fish I caught on a 3.5" flat sided beaver in green pumpkin.

beaverfish.jpg

2 piece sweet beaver molds can be done easily in pop. No special venting is needed. One sided works equally as well IMO but tears up easier if punch heavy mats.

Regarding the patent issue... While I would not guess RI would track you down, it is patent infringement if you copy the bait and use it for personal use. Music and baits are not the same. Think about it from the guy that actually took all the time, money to develop the design test it, market it ect. If you spent all that $$$ and came up with a sweet beaver or whatever, would you want to be ripped off? Just my take but it happens all the time.

I guess you will see how difficult the soft plastic deal is when you try to make the mold and then attempt the 2-3 color baits.

Also, Dave is correct, if you use "sweet beaver" or any words close, RI will come after you for COPYRIGHT infringement vs a patent infringement.

Either way, I don't have the $$$$ to defend myself in court from a suit. Easier to just use another bait that is equally or more effective and give Andre his $$$ when I want to fish his baits.

Just my 2 cents....

Oh yeah, good luck and welcome aboard. If you run into issues making the 2 sided bait, send me a PM. I make pop molds every week and can give you some tips.

Jim

Edited by ghostbaits

Thanks Jim! I noticed that you are from Georgia too, so I checked out your website. Nice baits! I guess you have a lot of customers that fish Seminole and Eufaula. I love those lakes. like fishing tournaments down there whenever I can. I hooked into a monster during the BFL Bulldog on Seminole this past year. It was hooked good too! However, it pulled my reel off of the Skeet Reese Toad Rod I was using. I've heard from other friends that have had the same problem with those rods. Anyway, If you are ever up near Lake Oconee, let me know.

Best regards,

Jim Oxford

Thanks Jim! I noticed that you are from Georgia too, so I checked out your website. Nice baits! I guess you have a lot of customers that fish Seminole and Eufaula. I love those lakes. like fishing tournaments down there whenever I can. I hooked into a monster during the BFL Bulldog on Seminole this past year. It was hooked good too! However, it pulled my reel off of the Skeet Reese Toad Rod I was using. I've heard from other friends that have had the same problem with those rods. Anyway, If you are ever up near Lake Oconee, let me know.

Best regards,

Jim Oxford

Will do Jim. Seminole is what I consider my home lake. We have been catching 28-30lbs for our 5 best as of late in the Creek!!!! FUN!!!

There are some beasts in both lakes. Seminole is my favorite though!!!

Jim

That's right TBait. Here at Lake Oconee, Georgia, a flat sided beaver style bait may be even better than the original because it would probably skip better under the docks. I need to make a mold of a compact beaver style bait that skips a mile and shows out on the way down to the bottom. <*)}}}><