wchilton

Silicone Cups For Microwave Heating (tip)

I was going to hold off on this tip until I'd had a little more time to test but a recent post makes it seem timely to post now. I've been using one of these silicone measuring cups to heat plastic in the microwave and it's working pretty well for me. I can't comment on longevity because I haven't used it long enough. The silicone acts as more of an insulator than the pyrex so it makes it easier (for me at least) to heat smaller amounts of plastic. I run my microwave at 50% power level and it is one with an inverter so it heats at 50% for the time it's running rather than 100% for half the time and 0% the other half. These cups are a little bit "floppy" to hold onto and they do get warm but so far I can work with them without needing gloves. I'm going try insulating one with microwave-safe material to help retain even more heat and also to support the sides of the cup to make it a little easier to handle. I got these from Amazon. Just search over there for "silicone measuring cup" and you'll find them. The one I've used so far is the 1-cup size. Here's a pic. SiliconeCups.jpg

SiliconeCups.jpg

SiliconeCups.jpg

SiliconeCups.jpg

SiliconeCups.jpg

SiliconeCups.jpg

SiliconeCups.jpg

SiliconeCups.jpg

post-23065-0-28300100-1297314591_thumb.jpg

I have one too that came in the mail about a week ago. I got the idea from Jason over at Caney Creek.

So far so good. I have only noticed good things about it.

A) The flimsiness of the material makes it very easy to hand pour a thin stream of plastic.

B ) The silicone cup keeps plastic hotter for longer (I'd say about 2.5x longer than Pyrex)

C) The plastic doesn't stick to the sides.

Here's the exact one I got: http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=280625234787

Safe up to 490 degrees F

Edited by GoneFroggin

The one thing that scares me is the flimsy part. I can see that in a rush to do an order a person can make a mistake and squeeze the container a little too much as you take it out of the micro and there's a quick trip to the hospital with major burns.

Not saying it isn't a good idea to use them; just be very aware when you do.

www.novalures.com

Read some reviews and I am confident that it will not tip when full. Ordered 1 cup and 2 cup models.

Downside... EXPENSIVE!!!!! I can buy 2 for 1 on the Anchor cups....

Upside... Not borosilicate so I KNOW this will not explode in my hand, on my bench or even if I drop it!!!

I can offer a review once I get mine as I hand pour everyday still.

Jim

How full can you get these without them falling over or to the side? I rarely work with small amounts (less than 4-6oz).

Looks like a great alternative. Wonder if you could just put it in a borosilicate beaker to give it rigidity???

Jim

You know I love borosilicate lab beakers since they will not explode like Pyrex but they are fragile when pressure is place inside of them.

The one thing that scares me is the flimsy part. I can see that in a rush to do an order a person can make a mistake and squeeze the container a little too much as you take it out of the micro and there's a quick trip to the hospital with major burns.

Not saying it isn't a good idea to use them; just be very aware when you do.

www.novalures.com

I wouldn't recommend these being filled more than about 1/3 full. You could maybe go 1/2 full but what happens is the cup gets hot up to the level of the melted plastic so you have to grip only above that point. These are really nice for small batches. I've had no problem working with 1/4 cup, just enough to pour 3 or 4 baits. It's easier to pour a small stream because the silicone cup doesn't cool the plastic as fast. The 2-cup size is heavier material than the 1 cup size. I haven't used my 2-cup size yet. The ones I've got are the NORPRO brand, same as shown in that eBay link above.

Update:

I did a little more pouring tonight. You definitely want to fill these no more than 1/3 of the total (1/4 is better) so the 1-cup size is best left for pretty small batches. I added some stiffness by putting a bead of clear silicone caulk about 3/4 inch below the top edge and that worked ok, no problems in the microwave. The bead of silicone (on the outside of the cup) also provides a little more secure grip. I started 1/2 cup of plastic and it was a bit too hot so just folded a paper towel a couple of times and used that as a sort of potholder and was good to go.

Update:

I did a little more pouring tonight. You definitely want to fill these no more than 1/3 of the total (1/4 is better) so the 1-cup size is best left for pretty small batches. I added some stiffness by putting a bead of clear silicone caulk about 3/4 inch below the top edge and that worked ok, no problems in the microwave. The bead of silicone (on the outside of the cup) also provides a little more secure grip. I started 1/2 cup of plastic and it was a bit too hot so just folded a paper towel a couple of times and used that as a sort of potholder and was good to go.

I don't want to be picky or disturb the thread flow, but you should really be wearing gloves for pouring: http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/21207-gloves-what-typebrand/page__p__158153__hl__gloves__fromsearch__1#entry158153

Dave

I don't want to be picky or disturb the thread flow, but you should really be wearing gloves for pouring: http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/21207-gloves-what-typebrand/page__p__158153__hl__gloves__fromsearch__1#entry158153

Dave

Ditto the gloves! Also, because JB WEld holds so well with 350 plus heat, could you somehow put a handle on the cup to help pour? Just a thought.

Thanks for the reminder Dave. Will do.

You are most welcome.

I think there is a lot of posibilities here, based on what the Dutchman mentioned, making some kind of holder/support for the cup. The cup material obviously can take the temperatures involved, but gets a bit floppy. A metal frame would be easy, but not microwave friendly.

I think there is a lot of room for experiment here for holder frames. I am thinking polyester resin. I have no idea how it would behave in a microwave, but it would be easy to make a mold using the cup and soft modelling clay. I would do it myself, except my m/w packed in and I butchered it for the motor.

To find a solution here is a big step forward for microwave pouring and safety. This is a very important thread.

Dave

Here is an idea for someone to try. Why not make your own cup that is thicker and more stable base. If you make a box and put a cup in and pour silicone around it. May be the cheap silicone will work or you might have to use the good stuff. Just a thought. Frank

Here is an idea for someone to try. Why not make your own cup that is thicker and more stable base. If you make a box and put a cup in and pour silicone around it. May be the cheap silicone will work or you might have to use the good stuff. Just a thought. Frank

Or maybe use nesting cups or glasses as a mold, pour some rtv silicone into the first, and then force the second cup down into the first until the rtv is forced up at the sides. I've never done anything like this, so I'm only guessing. And I have no idea if you'd need a release agent to make it work. Just a thought.

Read some reviews and I am confident that it will not tip when full. Ordered 1 cup and 2 cup models.

Downside... EXPENSIVE!!!!! I can buy 2 for 1 on the Anchor cups....

Upside... Not borosilicate so I KNOW this will not explode in my hand, on my bench or even if I drop it!!!

I can offer a review once I get mine as I hand pour everyday still.

Jim

Jim,

Pleas post a review.

Just thinking but if you want to go custom cup for your silicone cup. Just find a person locally that pours porcelain as a hobby and trade lures for what you want. Make a mud cup on the out side and have them bake it into a (coffee mug). Leave the top half open so you can pinch the cup. Better yet just make the cup already pinched. I would think the silicone cup would slide in and out of it easily.

Just got mine last night, I'll let you know as I had a rush order for the BFL up on Murray this weekend.

I am also going to make a pop insulator for one of mine so I can use it for dipping.

Jim

I ordered one, too. At $6.99 plus $2 shipping, I figured it was worth the gamble.

It should arrive any day.

By the time it does, I'm hoping you will have tried yours, and posted the results.

Well, my silicone cup came yesterday, and I poured some 4" flukes today. What a difference!

The plastic took a little longer to heat, but it stayed pourable a lot longer.

I wound up having to wear a glove because the cup does get hot, but I was able to pour directly from the cup instead of using separate pouring cups.

I don't have as much control as with the metal pouring cups, but I think it may just be a learning curve deal.

All in all, I'm thrilled.

Thanks to whoever posted the link to the Ebay store. :worship::worship::worship:

Well, my silicone cup came yesterday, and I poured some 4" flukes today. What a difference!

The plastic took a little longer to heat, but it stayed pourable a lot longer.

I wound up having to wear a glove because the cup does get hot, but I was able to pour directly from the cup instead of using separate pouring cups.

I don't have as much control as with the metal pouring cups, but I think it may just be a learning curve deal.

All in all, I'm thrilled.

Thanks to whoever posted the link to the Ebay store. :worship::worship::worship:

It was Gone Froggin. Thanks again. :worship::worship::worship:

Thanks to whoever posted the link to the Ebay store.

I found the same ones in the local "kitchen supply" store for 7.99 for the 2 cup size. I've probably walked by them 10 times in the past and never gave them a second thought.

Edited by bryanmc