wchilton

Silicone Cups For Microwave Heating (tip)

Ok I bought two 2cup sizes of these and thought Wow this would be great for putting into a presto pot surrounding with DWP and use for two color injecting.

Boy was i wrong just a hint the insulating properties go both ways never got my plastic above 200' and I had the pot smoking.

But all is not lost they are great for the micro

I found the same ones in the local "kitchen supply" store for 7.99 for the 2 cup size. I've probably walked by them 10 times in the past and never gave them a second thought.

Tried these last night and was really pleased with the result. I can pour as fine and well controlled stream from these as I can from my LC pouring pots (the little metal ones). I could never get close to what I can do with these pouring from pyrex.

Well, I am the opposite on these. I like them for keeping plastic hot for dipping but not for pouring. I pour 8oz a lot (or more) and these are not made for filling to the top for sure. Without a handle, the 8oz cups are near impossible to pour with when filled with 8oz. Tried the 2 cup with only 8oz but have less control than my anchor or pyrex cups.

I'll continue to use for dipping but I see a spill/mess/burn coming soon with these when somebody fills one up and tries to pour out of it.

Jim

Well, I am the opposite on these. I like them for keeping plastic hot for dipping but not for pouring. I pour 8oz a lot (or more) and these are not made for filling to the top for sure. Without a handle, the 8oz cups are near impossible to pour with when filled with 8oz. Tried the 2 cup with only 8oz but have less control than my anchor or pyrex cups.

I'll continue to use for dipping but I see a spill/mess/burn coming soon with these when somebody fills one up and tries to pour out of it.

Jim

I was only doing 4oz batches in the 2 cup size. Don't think I'd go over 8oz in the 2 cup one, which is all I'll pour from a 2 cup pyrex as well.

Jim

I'm never filling these above 1/2 full, more like 1/3 to 1/4 full actually. Agree with you, Jim, that people need to BE EXTRA CAREFUL if you're going to try these, just like with anything else new or different.

The cup I'm using right now has been slightly "stiffened" using silicone caulk and some insulating material. It's better (stiffness-wise) for handling but I'm still not completely happy with the result and still would never fill it above about 1/3 full. Just to give some idea where I'm coming from, I'm not producing a lot of baits...just pouring a few at a time for myself as a hobby. In my case, these cups make working with the small batches a bit easier.

I use mine for pouring small open molds, like the Lurecraft RTV 4" sluggo mold.

I only fill it 1/3, hold it in my hot-gloved left hand, and pinch the pour edge with my ungloved right hand. I'm right handed, and tried it the other way, but this is best for me. I can guide the pour over my molds almost as well as with my Lurecraft pouring pans. I'm sure with more practice I'll get as good, and the plastic stays hot and pourable a lot longer.

I only pour four worms at a time, and then I dust them with salt, before pouring four more in the next mold, so having the plastic stay hot is critical for me.

I can typically do 16 worms before I have to reheat the plastic.

Two thumbs up!

Edited by mark poulson