Lucky Joe

Applying Glitter?

I've noticed that most guys are using (or seems to be) Dick Nites as a top coat, and just dipping the bait. If I were going to apply glitter to a bait, can you mix a little glitter (superfine) in with the clear and spray the bait? I'm a little concerned about the glittler "settling" in the resevoir is one thing that has me puzzled (clogging and cleanup). Would I need to go up on tip size to do this? I'm not looking to saturate the bait, just a very small amount. Does anyone have some suggestion?

Hi Joe I'm no expert but heres my two cents worth,depending on the size of your needle and the size of your glitter you may be able to spray some I'm not sure never tried it you could try sprinkling it on by hand I've tried this and the results are to inconsistent for my liking so what I do now I have an old worm blower (basically a small empty bottle with a with a cap on it with a larger diameter needle stickin out of it) I put some glitter in it put the cap back on and "blow"on my glitter it seems to work pretty well for me and when your done any extra glitter can go back in to its contaner hope this helps

I found the only way to get my baits smooth and not feel the glitter was to coat them twice. I mix the glitter with the water based and brush it on. The stuff dries really fast, like 30 mins on the spinner. Then I coat the lure with envirotex and spin again. The lures come out real smooth. Right or wrong that's how I do it.

Rather than fool around trying to get glitter to shoot through an airbrush, I buy the cheap glitter that comes mixed in a clear acrylic base, which you can find at any hobby center. Thin it with a little water and paint it on the lure where you want it, then clear coat the bait as usual. I like being able to control where and how much glitter goes on a bait, and this works for me. Brushing it on also makes the glitter lay down on the surface, so you don't get pieces sticking up through a thin clear coat like Dick Nite.